Chaiwat Engtrakul received his Ph.D. in Inorganic/Materials Chemistry from the University of Maryland, College Park, in 2003, while studying the conduction physics of single molecules in the laboratory of Professor Lawrence Sita. Afterward, he began working at NREL as a postdoctoral researcher in the Nanostructured Materials Group with Dr. Michael Heben to develop new carbon nanotube-based materials for application in renewable energy technologies. During his three-year position his work included the synthesis, purification, and structural characterization of carbon nanotube-based materials. His interest in the physicochemical properties of carbon single-walled nanotubes helped establish solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy as a powerful tool in the structural, chemical, and electronic characterization of carbon nanotubes and nanotube-based materials at NREL. Currently, Dr. Engtrakul is a Senior Scientist at NREL overseeing staff working on the deposition and characterization of new thin-film electrochromic transition metal oxides. In addition, he is pursuing studies to elucidate how the morphology and electronic structure of the thin-film material affects its electrochromic performance.
- New materials for improving electrochromic and energy storage applications
- Synthesis, purification, and characterization of nanostructured materials
- Electrochemical and physicochemical properties of nanoscale systems.
- Engtrakul, C.; Irurzun, M. V.; Gjersing, L. E.; Holt, M. J.; Larsen, A. B.; Resasco, E. D.; Blackburn, L. J. (2012). "Unraveling the 13C NMR Chemical Shifts in Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes: Dependence on Diameter and Electronic Structure." J. Am. Chem. Soc. (134); pp. 10.1021-ja211181q.
- Engtrakul, C.; Davis, M. F.; Mistry, K.; Larsen, B. A.; Dillon, A. C.; Heben, M. J.; Blackburn, L. J. (2010). "Solid-State 13C NMR Assignment of Carbon Resonances on Metallic and Semiconducting Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes." J. Am. Chem. Soc. (132); pp. 9956-9957.
- Engtrakul, C.; Kim, Y.–H.; Nedeljkovic, J. M.; Ahrenkiel, S. P.; Gilbert, K. E. H.; Alleman, J. L.; Zhang, S. B.; Micic, O. I.; (2006). "Self-Assembly of Linear Arrays of Semiconductor Nanoparticles on Carbon Single-Walled Nanotubes." J. Phys. Chem. B (110); pp. 25153-25157.
- Karaiskaj, D.; Engtrakul, C.; McDonald, T. J.; Heben, M. J.; Mascarenhas, A. (2006). "Intrinsic and Extrinsic Effects in the Temperature Dependent Photoluminescence of Semiconducting Carbon Nanotubes." Phys. Rev. Lett. (96); p. 106805.
- Engtrakul, C.; Davis, M. F.; Gennett, T.; Dillon, A. C.; Jones, K. M.; Heben, M. J. (2005). "Protonation of Carbon Single-Walled Nanotubes Studied using 13C and 1H-13C Cross Polarization Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and Raman Spectroscopies." J. Am. Chem. Soc. (127); pp. 17548-17555.