Alex Nardes received a double Ph.D. degree in Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering, respectively, from the Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, and the University of São Paulo, Brazil in 2007. As part of his Ph.D. studies, Dr. Nardes helped to improve the understanding of electrical conductivity and charge transport in PEDOT:PSS, one of the most used conducting polymers in the field of organic electronics. In 2008, he came to Colorado for a one-year Postdoctoral appointment at the University of Denver and NREL, a part-time position at each institution, doing consulting work with Prof. Sean Shaheen for industrial partners. He joined NREL full time in 2009 as a Postdoctoral Researcher in the group of Dr. Nikos Kopidakis working on fundamental aspects of photophysics dynamics and charge transport of organic materials for photovoltaic applications. In 2013 he became a Research Scientist working on experimental characterization and new designs for organic photovoltaics.
2013-Present: Scientist III, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
2009-2012: Postdoc, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
2008-2009: Postdoc, Department of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Denver
2007 Double Ph.D., Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands and University of São Paulo, Brazil, Ph.D. dissertation title: "On the Conductivity of PEDOT:PSS Thin Films."
2002 MS.c., Electrical Engineering, Polytechnic School of the University of São Paulo
- Nardes, A.M.; Ferguson, A.J.; Whitaker, J.B.; Larson, B.W.; Larsen, R.E.; Maturová, K.; Graf, P.A.; Boltalina, O.V.; ; Strauss, S.H.; Kopidakis, N. (2012). "Beyond PCBM: Understanding the Photovoltaic Performance of Blends of Indene-C60 Multiadducts with Poly(3-hexylthiophene)." Advanced Functional Materials (22); Accessed May 06, 2013: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adfm.201200336/abstract.
- Nardes, A.M.; Ayzner, A.L.; Hammond, S.R.; Ferguson, A.J.; Schwartz, B.J.; Kopidakis, N. (2012). "Photoinduced Charge Carrier Generation and Decay in Sequentially Deposited Polymer/Fullerene Layers: Bulk Heterojunction vs Planar Interface." The Journal of Physical Chemistry C (116:(13)); Accessed May 06, 2013: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp212390p?journalCode=jpccck&quickLinkVolume....
- Nardes, A.M.; Janssen, R.A.J.; Kemerink, M. (2008). "A Morphological Model for the Solvent-Enhanced Conductivity of PEDOT:PSS Thin Films." Advanced Functional Materials (18); pp. 1-7.
- Nardes, A.M.; Kemerink, M.; de Kok, M.M.; Vinken, E.; Maturová, K.; Janssen, R.A.J. (2008). "Conductivity, Work Function, and Environmental Stability of PEDOT:PSS Thin Films Treated with Sorbitol." Organic Electronics (92:5); pp. 727-734.
- Nardes, A.M.; Kemerink, M.; Janssen, R.A.J.; Bastiaansen, J.A M.; Kiggen, N.M.M.; Langeveld, B.M.W.; van Breemen, A.J.M.; de Kok, M. (2007). "Microscopic Understanding of the Anisotropic Conductivity of PEDOT:PSS Thin Films." Advanced Materials (19:9); pp. 1196-1200.
- Nardes, A.M.; Kemerink, M.; Janssen, R.A.J. (2007). "Anisotropic hopping conduction in spin-coated PEDOT:PSS thin films." Physical Review. B, Condensed Matter and Materials Physics (76); pp. 085208-1-085208-7.
- Nardes, A.M.; Dirani, E.A.T.; Bianchi, R.F.; Neves, J.A.R.; Andrade, A.M.; Faria, R.M.; Fonseca, F.J. (2004). "Barrier coating for polymer light-emitting diodes using carbon nitride thin films deposited at low temperature by PECVD technique." Materials Science & Engineering. C, Biomimetic Materials, Sensors and Systems (C24); pp. 607-610.