Post Doctoral Researcher
Wei Xiong received a B.S. and an M.S. in Microbiology at Central China Agricultural University. He earned a Ph.D. in Biosciences in 2010 from Tsinghua University in Beijing, where he studied biofuel production from microalgae/cyanobacteria using systems biology approaches. Prior to joining NREL, Dr. Xiong worked on cyanobacterial carbon metabolism at Arizona State University’s Center of Photosynthesis and Bioenergy as a postdoctoral fellow with Professor Wim Vermaas. Dr. Xiong was awarded the NREL Director’s Fellowship in 2013. He is currently working with Dr. Jianping Yu in Bioscience Center, on photo-biological production of ethylene from cyanobacteria. This research project employs metabolomic and synthetic biology approaches to explore and re-engineer the central carbon metabolism in order to create robust ethylene producing strains.
2010, Ph.D., Biology, Tsinghua University
2005, M.S., Microbiology, Central China Agricultural University
2002, B.S., Microbiology, Central China Agricultural University
- Xiong, Wei; Liu, Lixia; Wu, Chao; Yang, Chen; Wu, Qingyu "C tracer and GC-MS analyses reveal metabolic flux distribution in oleaginous microalga Chlorella protothecoides.."
- Xiong, Wei; Gao, Chunfang; Yan, Dong; Wu, Chao; Wu, Qingyu (April 2010). "Double CO2 fixation inphotosynthesis-fermentation model enhances algal lipid synthesis for biodiesel production.." Bioresource Technology (101:7); pp. 2287-22933.
- Gao, Yang; Xiong, Wei; Gao, Chunfang; Li, Han; Wu, Qingyu "Identification of the proteomic changes in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803 following prolonged UV-B irradiation.."
- Xiong, Wei; Li, Xiufeng; Xiang, Jinyi; Wu, Qingyu (2008). "High-density fermentation of microalga Chlorella protothecoides in bioreactor for microbio-diesel production.." Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology (78:1); pp. 29-36.
- Gao, Chunfang; Xiong, Wei; Zhang, Yiliang; Yuan, Wenqiao; Wu, Qingyu (2008). "Rapid quantitation of lipid in microalgae by time-domain nuclear magnetic resonance.." Journal of Microbiological Methods (75:3); pp. 437-440.
- Xiong, Wei; He, Mingjia; Li, Xiufeng; Gao, Yang; Wu, Qingyu (October 2007). "Identification and biochemical properties of Dps (starvation-induced DNA binding protein) from cyanobacterium Anabaena sp. PCC 7120.." IUBMB Life (59:10); pp. 675-681.