Dr. Venkat Subramanian received his Ph.D. from the University of Cincinnati in the year 2008. His research at NREL has focused on understanding the metabolic pathways leading to H2 production in the green alga, Chlamydomonas reinhardtii, using proteomic and metabolomic approaches. He has also been involved in characterizing mutant algal strains that are deficient in fermentative pathways in this organism using omics techniques. His current research focuses on genetically improving the harvesting properties of algae for commercial-scale biofuel production.
Dr. Subramanian’s Ph.D. thesis involved characterization of cytochrome P450 monooxygenases in the white rot fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium, their heterologous expression and purification, and understanding their global transcriptional regulatory patterns under varying environmental conditions. His master’s thesis involved molecular analysis of transcriptional activators in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. His other research interests include annotating cytochrome P450 genes in fungal genomes, and identifying and developing strategies for improving the production of alternate renewable biofuels from algae.
2008 Ph.D. Molecular Biology and Biotechnology; University of Cincinnati, USA
2002 M.S. Molecular Biology; University of Southern Mississippi, USA
1997 M.Sc. Microbiology; University of Mumbai, India
1995 B.Sc. Microbiology; University of Mumbai, India
- Subramanian, V.; Dubini, A.; Seibert, M. (2012). "Metabolic pathways in green algae with potential value for biofuels production," R. Gordon & J. Seckbach, ed. The Science of Algal Fuels: Phycology, Geology, Biophotonics, Genomics and Nanotechnology. Dordrecht, Springer;
- Catalanotti, C.; Dubini, A.; Subramanian, V.; Yang, W.; Magneschi, L.; Mus, F.; Seibert, M.; Posewitz, M.; Grossman, A.R. (2012). "Altered fermentative metabolism in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii Mutants lacking PFL1 and both PFL1 and ADH1." Plant Cell (24:2);
- Magneschi, L.; Catalanotti, C.; Subramanian, V.; Dubini, A.; Yang, W.; Mus, F.; Posewitz, M.; Seibert, M.; Perata, P.; Grossman, A.R. "A mutant in the ADH1 gene of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii elicits metabolic restructuring during anaerobiosis."
- Jinkerson, R.E.; Subramanian, V.; Posewitz, M. "Improving biofuel production in algae with system biology tools."
- Grossman, A.R.; Cattalanotti, C.; Yang, W.; Dubini, A.; Magneschi, L.; Subramanian, V.; Seibert, M.; and Posewitz, M.C. (2011). "Multiple Facets of Anoxic Metabolism and Hydrogen Production in the Unicellular Green Alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii." New Phytol. (190:2); pp. 279-288.
- Subramanian, V.; Doddapanani, H.; Khajamohiddin, S.; Yadav, J.S. (2010). "P450 electron transfer proteins in the white rot fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium: gene transcription, heterologous expression, and activity analysis of the expressed proteins." Curr. Microbiol (61:4);
- Subramanian, V.; Yadav, J.S. (2009). "Role of P450 monooxygenases in the degradation of the endocrine disrupting chemical nonylphenol by the white rot fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium." Appl Environ Microbiol (75);
- Martinez, D.; Subramanian, V.; Cullen, D. (2009). "Genome, transcriptome, and secretome analysis of wood decay fungus Postia placenta supports unique mechanisms of lignocellulose conversion." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A (106:6);