Marko Boehm received his Ph.D. in 2007 from the Imperial College in London (UK), where he worked in the group of Prof. Peter Nixon. During his Ph.D. and a subsequent postdoctoral position, his research was focused on the assembly and repair of the cyanobacterial photosystem II (PSII) protein complex. He isolated and biochemically characterized early PSII assembly complexes and contributed to the structural characterization of the FtsH protease that is involved in PSII repair. He was also involved in research on the bi-directional hydrogenase of Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. In his current position at NREL, he is working on the structure and the interaction partners of the ferredoxins of the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii with the aim to provide knowledge that might help to improve algae biohydrogen production.
- Kargul, J., Boehm, M., Morgner, N., Robinson, C.V., Nixon, P.J. and Barber, J. (2010). "Compositional and structural analyses of the photosystem II from the red alga Cyanidioschyzon merolae." manuscript submitted
- Boehm, M., Romero, E., Reisinger, V., Yu, J., Komenda, J., Eichacker, L.A., Dekker, J.P. and Nixon, P.J. (2010). "Investigating the early stages of Photosystem II assembly in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803: Isolation of CP43 and CP47 complexes." manuscript accepted by JBC.
- Michoux, F.; Takasaka, K.; Boehm, M.; Nixon, P.J.; Murray, J.W. (2010). "The Structure of CyanoP at 2.8Å: Implications for the evolution and function of the PsbP subunit of Photosystem II.." Biochem (49:35); pp. 7411-7413.
- Nixon, P.J.; Michoux, F.; Yu, J.; Boehm, M.; Komenda, J. (2010). "Recent advances in understanding the assembly and repair of Photosystem II.." Ann Bot (106:1); pp. 1-16.
- Boehm, M.; Nield, J.; Zhang, P.; Aro, E.-M.; Komenda, J.; Nixon, P.J. (2009). "Structural and mutational analysis of Band 7 proteins in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803." J Bac (191:20); pp. 6425-35.
- Barker, M., Boehm, M., Nixon, P.J., Nield, J. (2007). "Structural analysis of an FtsH2/FtsH3 complex isolated from Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803." Proceedings 14th International Congress on Photosynthesis; July 19, 2012, Glasgow, UK, .
- Nixon, P.J., Barker, M., Boehm, M., de Vries, R., and Komenda, J. (2005). "FtsH-mediated repair of the Photosystem II complex in response to light stress." J Exp Bot (56); pp. 357-363.