Dr. Alexandra Dubini obtained her Ph.D. from the University of East Anglia, UK, in 2005, where she studied the targeting of metalloenzymes and, more specifically, the hydrogenases in E. coli . Her main research at NREL is focused on understanding the metabolic pathways involved in biofuel production, including hydrogen production and TAG accumulation in the green alga C. reinhardtii. In particular, she is investigating the rate-limiting factors involved in hydrogen production and the competitive pathways at the level of ferredoxin, and the lipid biosynthesis process to characterize new pathways for TAG synthesis.
2001–2005, Ph.D., Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, School of Biological Sciences University of East Anglia, UK
1999–2001, B.S. (Hons), Molecular Biology, School of Biological Sciences University of East Anglia, UK
1997–1999, Diplome d'Etudes Universitaires General Sciences de la Nature et de la Vie University of Mediterranee, Aix-Marseille, France.
- Dubini, A. (2011). "Green Energy from Green Algae." The Biochemical Society pp. 20-23.
- Grossman, A.R.; Cattalanotti, C.; Yang, W.; Dubini, A.; Magneschi, L.; Subramanian, V.; Seibert, M.; and Posewitz, M.C. (2011). "Multiple Facets of Anoxic Metabolism and Hydrogen Production in the Unicellular Green Alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii." New Phytol. (190:2); pp. 279-288.
- Eckert, C., A. Dubini, J. Yu, P. King, M. Ghirardi, M. Seibert, and P.C. Maness. (2010). "Hydrogenase genes and enzymes involved in solar hydrogen production," David Levin and Nuri Azbar, ed. State of the art and progress in production of biohydrogen. Bentham Science Publishers; pp. 8-24.
- Dubini, A.; Mus, .; Seibert. M.; Grossman, A.R.; and Posewitz, M.C. (2009). "Flexibility in Anaerobic Metabolism as Revealed in a Mutant Chlamydomonas reinhardtii Lacking Hydrogenase Activity." J Biol Chem. (284); pp. 7201-7213.
- Ghirardi, M.L.; Dubini, A.; Yu, J.; and Maness, P.C. (2008). "Photobiological Hydrogen-Producing Systems." Chemical Society Review (37); pp. 1-10.
- Posewitz, M.C.; Dubini, A.; Meuser J.E.; and Ghirardi, M.L. (2007). "The Chlamydomonas Sourcebook: A Comprehensive Guide to Biology and Laboratory Use," ed. The Chlamydomonas Sourcebook: A Comprehensive Guide to Biology and Laboratory Use.
- Mus, F.; Dubini, A.; Seibert, M.; Posewitz, M.C.; and Grossman, A.R. (2007). "Anaerobic acclimation in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: Anoxic gene expression, hydrogenase induction and metabolic pathways." J Biol Chem (282); pp. 25475-25486.
- McGlynn, S.E.; Ruebush, S.S.; Naumov, A.; Nagy, L.E.; Dubini, A.; King, P.W.; Broderick, J.B.; Posewitz, M.C.; Peters, J.W. (2007). "In vitro assembly of [Fe-Fe]-hydrogenase: new insights into hydrogenase maturation." J Biol Inorg Chem (12:4); pp. 443-447.