Solar Distributed Grid Integration Projects
NREL provides grid integration support, system-level testing, and systems analysis for DOE's Solar Distributed Grid Integration Projects supported by the SunShot Initiative. These projects address technical issues and develop solutions for high penetration grid integration of solar technologies into the electric power system to meet the following goals:
- Reduce cost: reduce interconnection costs by developing streamlined procedures including advanced integration models for utility interconnection of photovoltaics (PV)
- Reduce market barriers: work with utilities and system integrators to reduce market barriers by providing research on impacts of integration of high penetration of PV systems and developing solutions.
Grid Integration Support
NREL provides grid integration support to DOE by leading and participating in groups that provide valuable information on high penetration of PV. Examples include:
- Support high penetration workshops and seminars
- Support International Energy Agency Photovoltaic Power Systems Program (IEA PVPS) Task 11 — PV hybrid and mini-grids
- Support IEA PVPS Task 14 — high penetration of PV into electric power grids.
NREL works with utilities and system integrators to collect data on high penetration PV scenarios. Data from these systems will help identify potential issues with large penetrations of PV on distribution feeders and quantify the effect these systems are having on actual operating electrical distribution systems. Examples include:
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District, Anatolia Project
- Southern California Edison
- Hawaii Smart Grid projects.
NREL is developing analysis, modeling, and simulation tools, and conducting technical analysis on high penetration scenarios for PV systems to understand their impact on the electric power system.