Michael T. Guarnieri, Ph.D.
Dr. Guarnieri is a research scientist in the National Bioenergy Center's Applied Biology group at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. He earned his Ph.D. in biochemistry and molecular genetics, with a joint degree in biophysics and structural biology, at the University of Colorado School of Medicine in 2009, where his research focused on structural and biophysical characterization of bacterial two-component signaling proteins. Prior to his graduate studies, Dr. Guarnieri did undergraduate research at Brown University, examining viral secretion and virus-host interactions.
Dr. Guarnieri uses a systems biology approach–utilizing functional genomic, molecular, and biophysical techniques–to identify, analyze, and engineer pathways involved in algal, bacterial, and fungal hydrocarbon production. His current research interests include:
- Algal systems biology and cell signaling targeting enhanced hydrocarbon production
- Heterotrophic algal cultivation on lignocellulosic material
- Improved C5 sugar utilization in bacterial and fungal systems
- Biological lignin deconstruction and conversion in fungal systems.
Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, 2009
B.A., Honors Chemistry, Rhode Island College, 2003
- Guarnieri, M.T., et al. (2012). "Complex Systems Engineering: A Case Study for an Unsequenced Microalga." Patnaik, R., ed. Engineering Complex Phenotypes in Industrial Strains. New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.; pp. 201-232.
- Guarnieri, M.T.; Nag, A.; Smolinski, S.L.; Darzins, A.; Seibert, M.; Pienkos; P.T. (2011). "Examination of Triacylglycerol Biosynthetic Pathways via De Novo Transcriptomic and Proteomic Analyses in an Unsequenced Microalga." PLoS ONE (6:10); e25851.
- Guarnieri, M.T.; Blagg, B.S.J.; Zhao, R. (2010). "A High-Throughput TNP-ATP Displacement Assay for Screening Inhibitors of ATP-Binding in Bacterial Histidine Kinases." Assay and Drug Development Technologies (Online Ahead of Print November 4, 2010).
- Ito, K.; Qin, Y.; Guarnieri, M.T.; Garcia, T.; Kwei, K.; Mizokami, M.; Zhang, J.; Li, J.; Wands, J.R.; Tong, S. (2010). "Impairment of Hepatitis B Virus Virion Secretion by Single-Amino-Acid Substitutions in the Small Envelope Protein and Rescue by a Novel Glycosylation Site." Journal of Virology (84:24); pp. 12850-12861.
- Pazy, Y.; Motaleb, M.A.; Guarnieri, M.T.; Charon, N.W.; Zhao, R.; Silversmith, R.E. (2010). "Identical Phosphatase Mechanisms Achieved through Distinct Modes of Binding Phosphoprotein Substrate." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (107:5); pp. 1924-1929.
- Guarnieri, M.T; Zhang, L.; Shen, J.; Zhao, R. (2008). "The Hsp90 Inhibitor Radicicol Interacts with the ATP-Binding Pocket of Bacterial Sensor Kinase PhoQ." Journal of Molecular Biology (379:1); pp. 82-93. PDB Deposits: 3cgy and 3cgz.
- Zhang, L.; Shen, J.; Guarnieri, M.T.; Heroux, A.; Yang, K.; Zhao, R. (2007). "Crystal Structure of the C-Terminal Domain of Splicing Factor Prp8 Carrying Retinitis Pigmentosa Mutants." Protein Science (16:6) pp. 1024-1031. PDB Deposits: 2p87 and 2p8r.
- Chen, Y.; Guarnieri, M.T.; Vasil, A.I.; Vasil, M.L.; Mant, C.T.; Hodges, R.S. (2007). "Role of Peptide Hydrophobicity in the Mechanism of Action of Alpha-Helical Antimicrobial Peptides." Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (51:4); pp. 1398-1406.
- Guarnieri, M.: Kim, K.H.; Bang, G.; Li, J.; Zhou, Y.; Tang, X.; Wands, J.; Tong, S. (2006). "Point Mutations Upstream of Hepatitis B Virus Core Gene Affect DNA Replication at the Step of Core Protein Expression." Journal of Virology (80:2); pp. 587-595.
- Bang, G.; Kim, K.H.; Guarnieri, M.; Zoulim, F.; Kawai, S.; Li, J.; Wands, J.; Tong, S. (2005). "Effect of Mutating the Two Cysteines Required for HBe Antigenicity on Hepatitis B Virus DNA Replication and Virion Secretion." Virology (332:1); pp. 216-224.
- Khan, N.; Guarnieri, M.; Ahn, S.H.; Li, J.; Zhou, Y.; Bang, G.; Kim, K.H.; Wands, J.R.; Tong, S. (2004). "Modulation of Hepatitis B Virus Secretion by Naturally Occurring Mutations in the S Gene." Journal of Virology (78:7); pp. 3262-3270.
Michael Guarnieri, Ph.D.
National Bioenergy Center
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
15013 Denver West Parkway, MS 3323
Golden, CO 80401
Phone: 303-384-7921/ Fax: 303-384-6363