Mark F. Davis, Ph.D.
Dr. Mark Davis is the Thermochemical Conversion Platform Leader at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). He also currently serves as the Focus Area Lead for the characterization and modeling activities in the BioEnergy Science Center (BESC) led by Oak Ridge National Laboratory. His research program is focused on integrating multivariate statistical data analysis and spectroscopic methods such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and pyrolysis-molecular beam mass spectrometry (PyMBMS) to follow changes in plant cell wall chemistry due to transgenic modification. He has developed pyMBMS methods to rapidly analyze cell wall chemistry and teamed with plant geneticists to use the results of these analyses to identify quantitative trait loci (QTLs) in poplar and loblolly pine. Dr. Davis has more than 20 years experience in the biomass conversion area and has authored more than 50 publications and book chapters.
Education and Training
Ph.D., Wood Science, Colorado State University, 1990
M.S., Physical Chemistry, Colorado State University, 1987
B.S., Chemistry, University of Cincinnati, 1981
- Thermochemical Platform Program Manager, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colorado, 2010–present
- Focus Area 3 Lead: Characterization and Modeling, BioEnergy Science Center, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 2012–present
- Group Manager, Chemical and Catalyst Sciences, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2008–2011
- Characterization Activity Leader, BioEnergy Science Center, 2007–2011
- Principal Section Supervisor, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2006–2008
- Principal Scientist, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2004–present
- Senior Chemist II, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2004–2006
- Adjunct Professor, Michigan Technological University, 2005–present
- Senior Chemist I, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 1997–2004
- Staff Chemist, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 1995–1997
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 1993–1994
- Staff Spectroscopist, National Center for NMR Applications, Colorado State University, 1983–1985 and 1988–1992
- Mukarakate, C.; Scheer, A. M.; Robichaud, D.; Jarvis, M. W.; David, D. E.; Ellison, G. B.; Nimlos, M. R.; Davis, M. F. (2011). "Laser Ablation with Resonance-Enhanced Multiphoton Ionization Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry for Determining Aromatic Lignin Volatilization Products from Biomass." Review of Scientific Instruments (82:3); 033104.
- Studer, M. H.; DeMartini, J. D.; Davis, M. F.; Sykes, R. W.; Davison, B.; Keller, M.; Tuskan, G. E.; Wyman, C. E. (2011). "Lignin Content in Natural Populus Variants Affects Sugar Release." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (108:15); pp. 6300-6305.
- Ziebell, A.; Gracom, K.; Katahira, R.; Chen, F.; Pu, Y.; Ragauskas, A.; Dixon, R. A.; Davis, M. (2010). "Increase in 4-Coumaryl Alcohol Units during Lignification in Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) Alters the Extractability and Molecular Weight of Lignin." Journal of Biological Chemistry (285:50); pp. 38961-38968.
- Ishizawa, C. I.; Jeoh, T.; Adney, W. S.; Himmel, M. E.; Johnson, D. K.; Davis, M. F. (2009). "Can Delignification Decrease Cellulose Digestibility in Acid Pretreated Corn Stover?" Cellulose (16); pp. 677-686.
- Sykes, R.; Yung, M.; Novaes, E.; Kirst M.; Davis, M. (2009). "High Throughput Screening of Plant Cell Wall Composition Using Pyrolysis Molecular Beam Mass Spectroscopy." Mielenz, J. R., ed. Biofuels: Methods and Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology (581); pp. 169-183.
- Park, S.; Johnson, D. K.; Ishizawa, C. I.; Parilla, P. A.; Davis, M. F. (2009). "Measuring the Crystallinity Index of Cellulose by Solid State C-13 Nuclear Magnetic Resonance." Cellulose (16); pp. 641-647.
- Sykes, R.; Kodrzycki, B.; Tuskan, G.; Foutz, K.; Davis, M. (2008). "Within Tree Variability of Lignin Composition in Populus." Wood Science and Technology (42); pp. 649-661.
- Davis, M. F.; Wolfrum, E.; Jeoh, T. (2008). "Selection of Promising Biomass Feedstock Lines Using High Throughput Spectroscopic and Enzymatic Assays." Vermerris, W., ed. Genetic Improvement of Bioenergy Crops, Springer; pp. 143-160.
- Engtrakul, C.; Davis, M. F.; Gennett, T.; Dillon, A. C.; Jones, K. M.; Heben, M. J. (2005). "Protonation of Carbon Single-Walled Nanotubes Studied Using 13C and 1H-13C Cross Polarization Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and Raman Spectroscopies." Journal of the American Chemical Society (127); pp. 17548-17555.
- Brown, G. R.; Bassoni, D. L.; Gill, G. P.; Fontana, J. R.; Wheeler, N. C.; Megraw, R. A.; Davis, M. F.; Sewell, M. M.; Tuskan, G. A.; Neale, D. B. (2003). "Identification of Quantitative Trait Loci Influencing Wood Property Traits in Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda L.). III. QTL Verification and Candidate Gene Mapping." Genetics (164); pp. 1537-1546.
- Sewell, M. M.; Davis, M. F.; Tuskan, G. A.; Wheeler, N. C.; Elam, C. C.; Bassoni, D. L.; Neale, D. B. (2002). "Identification of QTLs Influencing Wood Property Traits in Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda L.). II. Chemical wood properties." Theoretical and Applied Genetics (104); pp. 214-222.
Mark F. Davis, Ph.D.
Thermochemical Platform Program Manager
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
15013 Denver West Parkway
Golden, CO 80401