Wesley Cole is a member of the Forecasting & Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Energy Systems Modeler and Analyst
On staff since 2014
Phone number: 303-275-3915
Areas of expertise
- Dynamic and steady-state modeling of energy systems
- Optimization and advanced control of energy systems
- Analysis of integrated energy systems
Primary research interests
- Capacity expansion modeling of the electricity sector
- Interaction of rooftop PV deployment with the greater electricity sector
- Impacts of policies on the evolution of the electricity sector
- Interactions of the natural gas supply chain with the deployment of renewable energy technologies
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in chemical engineering, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 2014
- B.S. in chemical engineering, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, 2010
Prior work experience
- Graduate Research Fellow, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX (2010-2014)
- Assistant Instructor, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX (2013)
- Research Intern, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO (2012)
- Research Intern, Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, ID (2010)
- Research Assistant, Wildland Fire Laboratory, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT (2008-2010)
- Member, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Krishnan, Venkat and Wesley Cole. "Evaluating the Value of High Spatial Resolution in National Capacity Expansion Models using ReEDS (Preprint)." Paper presented at the 2016 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, July 2016. NREL/CP-6A20-66002. View the associated poster.
Cole, Wesley, Trieu Mai, Kelly Eurek, Daniel C. Steinberg, and Robert Margolis. "Considering the Role of Solar Generation under Rate-Based Targets in the EPA's Proposed Clean Power Plan." Paper presented at Energy Policy Institute's Fifth Annual Energy Policy Research Conference. The Electricity Journal 28, no. 8 (October 2015): 20-28. doi:10.1016/j.tej.2015.09.002
Sullivan, P., W. Cole, N. Blair, E. Lantz, V. Krishnan, T. Mai, D. Mulcahy, and G. Porro. 2015. 2015 Standard Scenarios Annual Report: U.S. Electric Sector Scenario Exploration. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-64072.
Rhodes, J.D., C.R. Upshaw, W.J. Cole, C.L. Holcomb, and M.E. Webber. "A multi-objective assessment of the effect of solar PV array orientation and tilt on energy production and system economics." Solar Energy 108 (2014): 28-40.
Cole, W.J., D.P. Morton, and T.F. Edgar. "Optimal electricity rate structures for peak demand reduction using economic model predictive control." Journal of Process Control 24, no. 4 (2014): 368-74. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jprocont.2014.04.014
Cole, W.J., K.X. Perez, J.D. Rhodes, M.E. Webber, M. Baldea, and T.F. Edgar. "Community-scale air conditioning control for high penetrations of rooftop photovoltaics." Paper presented at the 2014 American Control Conference, Portland, OR, June 2014.
Rhodes, J.D., C.R. Upshaw, C.M. Meehan, D.A. Walling, P.A. Navratil, A.L. Beck, C.B. Harris, K. Nagasawa, R.L. Fares, W.J. Cole, H. Kumar, R.D. Duncan, C.L. Holcomb, T.F. Edgar, A. Kwasinski, and M.E. Webber. "Experimental and data collection methods for a large-scale smart grid deployment." Energy 65 (2014): 462-71. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.11.004
Full list of Wesley Cole publications (NREL)