Venkat Krishnan is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Energy System Analyst
On staff since August 11, 2014
Phone number: 303-275-3237
Areas of expertise
- Interdependent infrastructure planning
- Power system operational planning and stability assessment
- Statistical simulation and data mining
Primary research interests
- Co-optimization of transmission and supply side resources
- Energy and transportation infrastructure planning
- Renewable energy integration
- Dispatching energy storage in a co–optimized electricity markets
- Power system voltage stability and reactive power planning
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering (with statistics minor), Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2010
- M.S. in electrical engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2007
- B.E. in electrical and electronics engineering, Anna University (CEG), Chennai, India, 2005
Prior work experience
- Post-doctoral research associate, Iowa State University, IA, 09/2010–07/2014
- Research Assistant, Iowa State University, 01/2006–08/2010
- Teaching Assistant, Iowa State University, 08/2005–12/2005
Featured software tools
- Co-developer and analyst (2014-current): Regional Energy Deployment System (ReEDS) model
- Co-developer and analyst (2010-2014): National Energy and Transportation Planning tool and High-Fidelity Energy Storage Dispatch in Production Costing model
- User and analyst (2005-2010): Siemens Power System Simulator for Engineering (PSS®E),
RTE's ASSESS, WEKA, MATLAB/Simulink
Electric and transportation infrastructure planning:
- Krishnan, V. and W. Cole. "Evaluating the Value of High Spatial Resolution in National Capacity Expansion Models using ReEDS (Preprint)." Paper presented at the 2016 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, July 2016. NREL/CP-6A20-66002. View the associated poster.
- Krishnan, V. and J.D. McCalley. "The role of bio-renewables in national energy and transportation systems portfolio planning for low carbon economy." Renewable Energy 91 (June 2016): 207-23.
- Krishnan, V., J. McCalley, S. Lemos, and J. Bushnell. "Nation-wide transmission overlay design and benefits assessment for the US." Energy Policy 56 (May 2013): 221-32.
- McCalley, J., V. Krishnan, K. Gkritza, R. Brown, and D. Mejia-Giraldo. "Planning for long haul- Investment strategies for national energy and transportation infrastructures." IEEE Power & Energy Magazine 11, no.5 (September-October 2013): 24-35.
- Liu, A., Q. Zheng, J. Ho, V. Krishnan, B. Hobbs, M. Shahidehpour, and J. McCalley. "Co-optimization of Transmission and Other Supply Resources." Paper prepared for the Eastern Interconnection States Planning Council (EISPC), September 2013. NARUC Project No. 3316T5.
- McCalley, J. and V. Krishnan. "Survey of transmission technologies for planning long distance bulk transmission overlay in US." Intl. J. Electrical Power and Energy Syst. 54 (January 2014): 559-68.
- Krishnan, V., E. Kastrouni, D. Pyrialakou, K. Gkritza, and J. McCalley. " An Optimization Model of Energy and Transportation Systems: Assessing the High-Speed Rail Impact in the United States." Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 54 (May 2015): 131-56.
- Krishnan, V. and J. D. McCalley. "Building Foresight in Long-Term Infrastructure Planning Using End-Effect Mitigation Models." IEEE Systems Journal PP, no. 99 (April 2015): 1-12.
Renewable energy and energy storage integration:
- Krishnan, V., T. Das, E. Ibanez, C. Lopez, and J. McCalley. "Modeling operational effects of wind generation within national long-term infrastructure planning software." IEEE Trans. Power Systems 28, no. 2 (May 2013).
- Krishnan, V., L. Gonzalez-Marciaga, and J. McCalley. "A planning model to assess hydrogen as an alternative fuel for national light-duty vehicle portfolio." Energy 73 (August 2014): 943-57.
- Nock, D., V. Krishnan, and J. McCalley. " Dispatching Intermittent Wind Resources for Ancillary services via Wind Control and its Impact on Power System Economics." Renewable Energy 71 (November 2014): 396-400.
- Das, T., V. Krishnan, Y. Gu, and J. McCalley. "Compressed Air Energy Storage: State Space Modeling and Performance Analysis." Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE Power Engineering Society (PES) General Meeting, Detroit, Michigan, July 2011.
- Krishnan, V., T. Das, and J. McCalley. " Impact of short-term storage on frequency response under increasing wind penetration." Journal of Power Sources 257 (July 2014): 111-19.
- Das, T., V. Krishnan, and J.D. McCalley. "High-Fidelity Dispatch Model of Storage Technologies for Production Costing Studies." IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 5, no.4 (October 2014): 1242-252.
- Das, T., V. Krishnan, and J. McCalley. " Incorporating cycling costs in generation dispatch program — an economic value stream for energy storage." International Journal of Energy Research 38, no. 12 (October 2014): 1551-561. Wiley Online Library.
- Das, T., V. Krishnan, and J. D. McCalley. "Assessing the benefits and economics of bulk energy storage technologies in the power grid." Applied Energy 139 (February 2015): 104-18.
- Krishnan, V. and T. Das. "Optimal allocation of energy storage in a co-optimized electricity market: Benefits assessment and deriving indicators for economic storage ventures." Energy (January 2015).
Power system stability and security assessment:
- Krishnan, V., H. Liu, and J. McCalley. "Reactive power planning against power system steady state voltage instability." North American Power Symposium. (2008): 1-8. Canada.
- Krishnan, V., H. Liu, and J. McCalley. "Coordinated reactive power planning against power system voltage instability." Paper presented at the IEEE/PES Power Systems Conference and Exposition, March 2009, Seattle, Washington.
- Krishnan, V., J. McCalley, S. Henry, and S. Issad. " Efficient database generation for decision tree based power system security assessment." IEEE Trans. Power Syst. 26, No. 4 (November 2011).
- Krishnan, V. and J. McCalley. " Contingency Assessment under Uncertainty for Voltage Collapse and its Application in Risk based Contingency Ranking." Intl. J. Electrical Power and Energy Syst. 43 (July 2012): 1025-33. Elsevier.
- Krishnan, V. and J. McCalley. " Progressive Entropy based Contingency Grouping for deriving Decision Trees for Multiple Contingencies." Intl. J. Electrical Power and Energy Syst. 45 (February 2013): 35-41.
- Krishnan, V. and J. McCalley. " Importance Sampling based Intelligent Test Set Generation for Validating Operating Rules used in Power System Operational Planning." IEEE Trans. on Power Systems 28, no. 3 (August 2013).
- Liu, H., V. Krishnan, J. D. McCalley, and A. Chowdhury. "Optimal planning of static and dynamic reactive power resources." Generation, Transmission & Distribution 8, no. 12 (December 2014): 1916,1927. IET.
- Krishnan, V. and J. McCalley. "Role of Induction Motors in Voltage Instability and Coordinated Reactive Power Planning." Chap. 6 in Induction Motors - Modelling and Control Edited by Prof. Rui Esteves Araûjo, ISBN 978–953–51–0843–6. Published under CC BY 3.0 license, in subject Energy Engineering, InTech Open Access, November 2012.
- McCalley, J., C. Singh, V. Krishnan, and O. Olatujoye. 2010. "System Protection Schemes: Limitations, Risks, and Management." PSERC Publication 10-19. Final Report to the Power Systems Engineering Research Center (PSERC), Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ (US).
Full list of Venkat Krishnan publications (NREL)