Thomas R. Schneider
Thomas R. Schneider is a member of the Washington D.C. Office in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Principal Analyst - Strategic Energy Analysis
On staff since March 2009
Phone number: 202-488-2206
Areas of expertise
- Distributed generation and storage
- Advanced power generation and transmission technologies
- Technology assessment
- Strategic and scenario planning
- R&D policy and management
Primary research interests
- Variable renewable resources and the grid
- Role of electrification in society
- Energy efficiency and demand response
- Energy storage
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in physics, University of Pennsylvania
- B.S., Stevens Institute of Technology (High Honors)
Prior work experience
- Principal, TRSenergy, energy technology, resources and strategy consulting (2009)
- Congressional Fellow, Office of Senator Dianne Feinstein (2003)
- Executive Scientist, Strategic Research & Development, Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
- President, Lighting Research Institute (1985-1987)
- Director, Energy Utilization and Conservation Technology, Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
- Program Manager, Energy Storage, Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
- Principal Research Physicist, Planning and Research, PSE&G
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Power and Energy Society, IEEE-USA Energy Policy Committee: American Association for the Advancement of Science
Milligan, M.; Ela, E.; Hein, J.; Schneider, T.; Brinkman, G.; Denholm, P. (2012). Renewable Electricity Futures Study. Volume 4: Bulk Electric Power Systems: Operations and Transmission Planning. (Volume 4 of 4). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory 72 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-52409-4.
James, T.; Hurlbut, D.; Schneider, T. "Integrating Variable Renewable Resources on the Grid." NREL Report No. TP-6A2-47656.
Chapter 7: Panel 5 - Electric Power Grid Technologies in Science for Energy Technology: Strengthening the Link between Basic Research and Industry. (2010). A Report from the Basic Energy Sciences Advisory Committee, U.S. Department of Energy. August.
IEEE-USA Policy Position Statement. (2010). National Energy Policy Recommendations. February.
Schneider, T.R. and Veronika A. Rabl. (2000). "Lighting the Path to Sustainability." Forum for Applied Research and Public Policy, June.
Bell, R.A.; Schneider, T.R. (1999). "Balkanization and the Future of Electricity R&D." The Electricity Journal. Volume 12, Number 6, pp. 87-98, July.
Steiner, J.D.; Wolf, S.M.; Schneider, T.R. - Editors. (1990). "Energy Applications of High Temperature Superconductors, Volume 2." EPRI, Palo Alto, CA. ER-6862.
Schneider, T.R.; Snow, R.; Sulzberger, V.; Zemkowski, J., et. al. (1976). "Assessment of Energy Storage Systems Suitable for Use by Electric Utilities, Vol. 1&2." 606 pages. EPRI Report EM-264. ERDA Report E (11-1)-2501. July.
Schneider, Thomas R. (1973). "Efficiency of Photosynthesis as a Solar Energy Collector." Energy Conversion. 13, 77. Pergamon Press.
Hiking, whitewater canoe and kayak.