Thomas Jenkin is a member of the Washington D.C. Office in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Senior Energy Analyst
On staff since August 2004
Phone number: 202-488-2219
Areas of expertise
- Valuation and risk management
- Market structure and operation of natural gas and power markets
- Economic analysis of storage technologies
Primary research interests
- R&D and commercialization of energy technologies
- Risk and uncertainty
- The value of storage
- Economic and market analysis of renewable energy technologies
Education and background training
- MPPM, Yale School of Management
- D.Phil. in physics, University of Oxford
- B.Sc. in physics, University of Bristol
- Adjunct Faculty, Instructor: Johns Hopkins University, Advanced Academic Program. Designed and teach two courses in Master's degree programs in School of Environmental Studies.
- Principles and Applications of Energy Technology (Spring 2012, Summer 2011, Fall 2010, Spring 2010)
- Environmental Challenges for Energy Technology and Policy (Spring 2011, Fall 2009, Fall 2008)
Prior work experience
- Principal, LECG, Houston, Texas (2003-2004)
- Director, Market Analysis/Senior Consultant, Lukens Energy Group, Houston, Texas (2001-2002)
- Associate, The Brattle Group, Cambridge, Massachusetts (1996-2001)
- Associate, Booz Allen & Hamilton, New York, New York (1994-1996)
- Senior assistant, Investment & Capital, British Rail, England (1991-1992)
- Assistant consultant, Andersen Consulting, England (1988-1991)
- Post-doctoral researcher, Department of Earth Sciences, Oxford University, England (1987-1988)
- Member - International Association of Energy Economics
- Member - American Physical Society
Ramteen Sioshansi, Paul Denholm, and Thomas Jenkin. "Market and Policy Barriers to Deployment of Energy Storage", Economics of Energy and Environmental Policy, 1(2), 47-6, March 2012.
Thomas Jenkin, Deborah Baker Brannan, Mackay Miller and Tod Perry, "A Framework for Relating Behavioral Biases to Energy Policy Options." Poster presented and discussed by Thomas Jenkin and Deborah Brannan at the Behavior, Energy and Climate Change (BECC) conference, Washington, DC, November 30, 2011.
Sam Baldwin, Max Henrion, Thomas Jenkin, Jim McVeigh, James Milford and Walter Short. "Incorporating Technology and Market Risk and Uncertainty using Simulation and Scenario Analysis." Presented by Thomas Jenkin at the Joint Indo-US Workshop on Economy-wide Analysis for Low Carbon Strategies: Modeling and Abatement Options, New Delhi, India, September 28, 2011.
Ramteen Sioshansi, Paul Denholm, and Thomas Jenkin. "A Comparative Analysis of the Value of Pure and Hybrid Electricity Storage", Energy Economics, 33, 56-66, January 2011.
Max Henrion, Sam Baldwin, Thomas Jenkin, Jim McVeigh and Surya Swamy. "Expert Elicitation of Effects of R&D on Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Technologies." Presented by Max Henrion at the INFORMS Conference in San Diego, CA, October 12, 2009.
Nate Blair, David Evans, Kamala Jayaraman, Gary Goldstein, Thomas Jenkin, Gary Kleiman, Elliot Lieberman, James Milford, Chris Namovicz, Karen Palmer, Walter Short, Bob Smith, Patrick Sullivan, Boddu Venkatesh, Ryan Wiser, Evelyn Wright, Frances Wood. "REMAP: An Analysis of How Different Energy Models Addressed a Common High Renewable Energy Penetration Scenario in 2025." NREL Report/TP-6A2-95656, September 2009.
Ramteen Sioshansi, Paul Denholm, Thomas Jenkin and Jurgen Weiss. "Estimating the Value of Electricity Storage in PJM: Arbitrage and Some Welfare Effects." Energy Economics, 31, 269-277, March 2009.
Thomas Jenkin, David Kline, Gian Porro and Doug Arent. "Portfolio Analysis: A Framework, and Review and Application of Some Portfolio Analysis Techniques." Presentation for Energy Collaborative Analysis Initiative (ECAI) Web Forum given at NREL's Washington D.C. office, May 1, 2007.
Thomas Jenkin and Jurgen Weiss; "Estimating the Value of Electricity Storage: Some Size, Location and Market Structure Issues." Paper presented at the EESAT Conference in San Francisco, CA, October 17-19, 2005.
Thomas Jenkin and Dan Ives; "Weather Risk Management for Regulated Utilities" Public Utilities Fortnightly, October 2002.
Frank Graves, Thomas Jenkin, Dean Murphy and Rachel Polimeni. "Estimating the Value of Energy Storage in the United States: Some Case Studies." Presentation given at Commercially Viable Electricity Storage conference, London, England, January 31, 2001.
Frank Graves, Thomas Jenkin and Dean Murphy; "Opportunities for Electricity Storage in Deregulating Markets," The Electricity Journal, 1999.
Romkaew Broehm, Robert Earle, Frank Graves, Thomas Jenkin and Dean Murphy; "Mechanisms for Evaluating the Role of Hydroelectric Generation in Ancillary Service Markets"; EPRI Report: TR111707l, November 1998.
William Hayes and Thomas Jenkin; "Optically Detected Magnetic Resonance Studies of Exciton Trapping by Germanium in Quartz", J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys., 21, 2391-2398, 1988.
Thomas Jenkin, J. Koppitz, O. F. Schirmer and W. Hayes; Bound Small Polaron Optical Absorption in Germanium-doped Quartz", J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys., 20, L367-L371, 1987.
William Hayes and Thomas Jenkin; "Paramagnetic Hole Centres Produced in Germanium-doped Crystalline Quartz by X-irradiation at 4K", J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys., 18, L849-L853, 1985.
Full list of Thomas Jenkin publications (NREL)
Personal interests or hobbies
Swimming and reading