Stuart Cohen is a member of the Forecasting & Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Electric System Modeler
On staff since September 2012
Phone number: 303-275-4369
Areas of expertise
- Electricity system analysis
- Optimization and data analysis in GAMS and MATLAB
- Carbon capture and sequestration
Primary research interests
- Multi-scale electricity systems modeling and optimization (e.g. ReEDS)
- Optimizing complex systems involving science, technology, economics, and policy
- Sustainable energy
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2012
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2009
- B.S.E. in mechanical engineering, Case Western Reserve University, 2007
Prior work experience
- Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant and EPA STAR Fellow, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX (2007–2012)
- Mechanical Engineering Co-op, Codonics, Inc., Middleburg Heights, OH (2005–2007)
- Undergraduate Student Research Program (USRP) Summer Researcher, NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH (2004)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Member
Cohen, S.M., J. Macknick, K. Averyt, and J. Meldrum. 2014. Modeling Climate-Water Impacts on Electricity Sector Capacity Expansion: Preprint. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-6A20-61435.
Cohen, S.M., G.T. Rochelle, and M.E. Webber. "Optimizing post-combustion CO2 capture in response to volatile electricity prices." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies 8 (May 2012): 180-95. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2012.02.011
Cohen, S.M., H.L. Chalmers, M.E. Webber, C.W. King, and J. Gibbins. "Comparing post-combustion CO2 capture operation at retrofitted coal-fired power plants in the Texas and Great Britain electric grids." Environmental Research Letters. 6 (April-June 2011). doi:10.1088/1748-9326/6/2/024001
Cohen, S.M., G.T. Rochelle, and M.E. Webber. "Optimal operation of flexible post- combustion CO2 capture in response to volatile electricity prices." Paper presented at 10th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Technologies, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Energy Procedia 4 (2011): 2604-11. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.159.
Cohen, S.M., G.T. Rochelle, and M.E. Webber. (2010). "Turning CO2 Capture On & Off in Response to Electric Grid Demand: A Baseline Analysis of Emissions and Economics." ASME Journal of Energy Resources Technology 132, no. 2, 021003 (May 2010). doi:10.1115/1.4001573
Ziaii, S., S.M. Cohen,, G.T. Rochelle, T.F. Edgar, and M.E. Webber. "Dynamic operation of amine scrubbing in response to electricity demand & pricing." Paper presented at 9th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Technologies, Washington, D.C. Energy Procedia 1, no. 1 (February 2009): 4047-53.
Full list of Stuart Cohen publications (NREL)
Running, weight lifting, swimming, cinema