Stuart Cohen is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since September 2012
Phone number: 303-275-4369
Areas of expertise
- Electricity system analysis
- Optimization and data analysis in GAMS and MATLAB
- Carbon capture and sequestration
Primary research interests
- Multi-scale electricity systems modeling and optimization (e.g. ReEDS)
- Optimizing complex systems involving science, technology, economics, and policy
- Sustainable energy
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2012
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2009
- B.S.E. in mechanical engineering, Case Western Reserve University, 2007
Prior work experience
- Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant and EPA STAR Fellow, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX (2007–2012)
- Mechanical Engineering Co-op, Codonics, Inc., Middleburg Heights, OH (2005–2007)
- Undergraduate Student Research Program (USRP) Summer Researcher, NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH (2004)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Member
Cohen, S.M., Rochelle, G.T., Webber, M.E. (2012). "Optimizing post-combustion CO2 capture in response to volatile electricity prices." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies. Vol. 8, May 2012; pp. 180-195.
Cohen, S.M., Chalmers, H.L., Webber, M.E., King, C.W., Gibbins J. (2011). "Comparing post-combustion CO2 capture operation at retrofitted coal-fired power plants in the Texas and Great Britain electric grids." Environmental Research Letters. Vol. 6 (April-June 2011) 024001.
Cohen, S.M., Rochelle, G.T., Webber, M.E. (2011). "Optimal operation of flexible post- combustion CO2 capture in response to volatile electricity prices." Presented at 10th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Technologies, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Energy Procedia. 4, 2604–2611.
Cohen, S.M., Rochelle, G.T., Webber, M.E. (2010). "Turning CO2 Capture On & Off in Response to Electric Grid Demand: A Baseline Analysis of Emissions and Economics." ASME Journal of Energy Resources Technology. Vol. 132(2), 021003.
Ziaii, S., Cohen, S.M., Rochelle, G.T., Edgar, T.F., Webber, M.E. (2009). "Dynamic operation of amine scrubbing in response to electricity demand & pricing." Presented at 9th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Technologies, Washington, D.C. Energy Procedia, Vol. 1(1); February 2009; pp. 4047–4053.
Running, weight lifting, swimming, cinema