Sertac Akar is a member of the Technology Systems and Sustainability Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Geothermal Energy Analyst
On staff since 2014
Phone number: 303-275-3725
Areas of expertise
- Geothermal exploration and production
- Geothermal well testing and reservoir development
- Geographical information systems and remote sensing
- Energy resource economics and forecasting
Primary research interests
- Developing best practices in geothermal exploration
- Value of information analysis for geothermal exploration methods
- New geothermal technologies (e.g. EGS, hybrid power plants)
Education and background training
- M.Sc. in geological engineering, Middle East Technical University (METU), Ankara, Turkey, 2007
- B.S. in geological engineering, METU, Ankara, Turkey, 2004
Prior work experience
- Geothermal Production Group Manager, BM Holdings Inc, Ankara, Turkey (2013-2014)
- Project Geologist, BM Holdings Inc, Ankara, Turkey (2009-2013)
- Liaison Officer, United Nations, Nicosia, Cyprus (2008-2009)
- Visiting Researcher, ITC, Enschede, Holland (2007-2008)
- Research Assistant, METU, Ankara, Turkey (2005-2008)
- Geotechnical Intern, Sonar Drilling, Ankara, Turkey (2003)
- Intern Geologist, Ciner Holdings Inc., Canakkale, Turkey (2002)
- Member of Geological Engineering Chamber
Ediger, V., Akar, S. (2007). "ARIMA forecasting of primary energy demand by fuel in Turkey." Energy Policy. Vol. 35, pp: 1701-1708. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2006.05.009
Akar, S., Atalay, O., Kuyumcu, C., Solaroğlu, U., Çolpan, B., Arzuman, S. (2011) "3D Subsurface Modeling of Gumuskoy Geothermal Area, Aydin, Turkey." GRC Transactions. Vol. 35, pp. 669-676.
Kuyumcu, C., Solaroğlu, U., Akar, S., Atalay, O., Çoplan, B. (2011). "Estimation of Permeability using Simple Multi Criteria Decision Analysis in Gumuşkoy, Aydin, Turkey." GRC Transactions. Vol. 35, pp. 1573-1579.
Kuyumcu, C., Solaroğlu, U., Akar, S., Serin, O. (2012). "Hybrid Geothermal and Solar Thermal Power Plant Case Study: Gumuşkoy GEPP." GRC Transactions. Vol. 36, pp. 1091-1096.
Kuyumcu, C., Solaroğlu, U., Akar, S., Ipek, B. (2012). "A Directional Geothermal Well in Turkey: GK-4 Case Study." GRC Transactions. Vol. 36, pp. 291-296.