Sertac Akar is a member of the Technology Systems & Sustainability Analysis in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Geothermal Energy Analyst
On staff since 2014
Phone number: 303-275-3725
Areas of expertise
- Geothermal resource exploration and assessment
- Drilling and well testing
- Production and reservoir development
- Geographical information systems (GIS) and remote sensing (RS)
- Techno-economic evaluation and project feasibility
Primary research interests
- Techno-economic analysis of geothermal energy projects
- Resource assessment for geothermal power and heat projects
- Thermal desalination technologies
- Hybrid geothermal-solar thermal power plants
- New technologies for drilling and enhanced geothermal systems (EGS)
- Manufacturing analysis and cost models for power plant components
Education and background training
- M.Sc. in geological engineering, Middle East Technical University (METU), Ankara, Turkey, 2007
- B.S. in geological engineering, METU, Ankara, Turkey, 2004
Prior work experience
- Geothermal Production Group Manager, BM Holdings Inc, Ankara, Turkey (2013-2014)
- Project Geologist, BM Holdings Inc, Ankara, Turkey (2009-2013)
- Liaison Officer, United Nations, Nicosia, Cyprus (2008-2009)
- Visiting Researcher, ITC, Enschede, Holland (2007-2008)
- Research Assistant, METU, Ankara, Turkey (2005-2008)
- Geotechnical Intern, Sonar Drilling, Ankara, Turkey (2003)
- Intern Geologist, Ciner Holdings Inc., Canakkale, Turkey (2002)
- Member of Geological Engineering Chamber
Akar, S. and K.R. Young. 2015. Assessment of New Approaches in Geothermal Exploration Decision Making: Preprint. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-6A20-63546.
Ediger, V. and S. Akar. "ARIMA forecasting of primary energy demand by fuel in Turkey." Energy Policy 35 (2007): 1701-08. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2006.05.009
Akar, S., O. Atalay, C. Kuyumcu, U. Solaroğlu, B. Çolpan, and S. Arzuman. "3D Subsurface Modeling of Gumuskoy Geothermal Area, Aydin, Turkey." GRC Transactions 35 (2011): 669-76.
Kuyumcu, C., U. Solaroğlu, S. Akar, O. Atalay, and B. Çoplan. "Estimation of Permeability using Simple Multi Criteria Decision Analysis in Gumuşkoy, Aydin, Turkey." GRC Transactions 35 (2011): 1573-79.
Kuyumcu, C., U. Solaroğlu, S. Akar, and O. Serin. "Hybrid Geothermal and Solar Thermal Power Plant Case Study: Gumuşkoy GEPP." GRC Transactions 36 (2012): 1091-96.
Kuyumcu, C., U. Solaroğlu, S. Akar, and B. Ipek. "A Directional Geothermal Well in Turkey: GK-4 Case Study." GRC Transactions 36 (2012): 291-96.
Full list of Sertac Akar publications (NREL)