Sean Ong is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since August 2008
Phone number: 303-384-7451
Areas of expertise
- Technical, policy, and economic analysis and modeling of photovoltaic (PV) systems
- Analysis of land use requirements of solar and wind energy systems
- Interaction between utility rate structures and PV systems
- Renewable energy analysis and tool development using Microsoft VBA and MatLab
Primary research interests
- Potential of PV in national energy markets
- Economic and technical optimization of small, medium, and large scale PV installations
- Large scale deployment of various renewable energy technologies
Education and background training
- M.S. in systems engineering, Colorado School of Mines (expected 2013)
- B.S. in physics, Seattle Pacific University, 2008
Prior work experience
- Laboratory Assistant, Seattle Biomedical Research Institute, Seattle, WA (2006-2008)
- Technology Coordinator, Pierce College Fort Steilacoom, Tacoma, WA (2005 - 2006)
Ong, S.; Campbell, C.; Clark, N. (2012). Impacts of Regional Electricity Prices and Building Type on the Economics of Commercial Photovoltaic Systems. 41 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-56461.
Cassard, H.; Denholm, P.; Ong, S. (2011). "Technical and Economic Performance of Residential Solar Water Heating in the United States." Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. Vol. 15(8), October 2011; pp. 3789-3800; NREL Report No. JA-6A20-51254.
Ong, S., P. Denholm. (2011). "Maximizing the Value of Photovoltaic Installations on Schools in California: Choosing the Best Electricity Rates." 44 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-51694.
Ong, S., P. Denholm, E. Doris. (2010). "Impacts of Commercial Electric Utility Rate Structure Elements on the Economics of Photovoltaic Systems." 30 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A2-46782.
Denholm, P., R.M. Margolis, S. Ong, and B. Roberts. (2009). "Break-Even Cost for Residential Photovoltaics in the United States: Key Drivers and Sensitivities." NREL Report No. TP-6A2-46909.
Denholm, P., M. Hand, M. Jackson, and S. Ong. (2009). "Land Use Requirements of Modern Wind Power Plants in the United States." NREL Report No. TP-6A2-45834.
Full list of Sean Ong publications (NREL)
Inventing, outdoor activities, biking, table tennis, traveling, renewable energy