Ran Fu is a member of the Technology Systems and Sustainability Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since June 2013
Phone number: 303-384-7522
Areas of expertise
- Manufacturing economics and technology strategic roadmap
- Techno-economic analysis for supporting R&D decision making
- Value chain analysis and market forecasting
Primary research interests
- Cost modeling for manufacturing and installation process
- Utility-scale, commercial, and residential solar project costs and finance
- Behavior of supply, demand, and prices in materials markets
- Commercialization and business venture development
- Value proposition for the emerging technologies
Education and background training
- M.S. in civil engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, 2010
- B.S. in civil engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2008
Prior work experience
- Project Engineer, Array Technologies. Inc., Albuquerque, NM (2010-2013)
Fu, Ran, Ted James, Donald Chung, Douglas Gagne, Anthony Lopez, and Aron Dobos. "Economic Competitiveness of U.S. Utility-Scale Photovoltaics Systems in 2015: Regional Cost Modeling of Installed Cost ($/W) and LCOE ($/kWh)." Paper presented at the 2015 IEEE 42nd Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, June 2015.
Feldman, David, Galen Barbose, Robert Margolis, Mark Bolinger, Donald Chung, Ran Fu, Joachim Seel, Carolyn Davidson, Naïm Darghouth, and Ryan Wiser. 2015. Photovoltaic System Pricing Trends: Historical, Recent, and Near-Term Projections, 2015 Edition. Sunshot, U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/PR-6A20-64898.
Chung, Donald, Carolyn Davidson, Ran Fu, Kristen Ardani, and Robert Margolis. 2015. U.S. Photovoltaic Prices and Cost Breakdowns: Q1 2015 Benchmarks for Residential, Commercial, and Utility-Scale Systems.. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-64746
Powell, D.M., R. Fu, K. Horowitz, P.A. Basore, M. Woodhouse, and T. Buonassisi. "The capital intensity of photovoltaics manufacturing: barrier to scale and opportunity for innovation." Energy Environment Science. Published online 07 Sep 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C5EE01509J
Fu, R., T.L. James, and M. Woodhouse. "Economic Measurements of Polysilicon for the Photovoltaic Industry: Market Competition and Manufacturing Competitiveness." IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 5, no. 2 (March 2015): 515–24. NREL/JA-6A20-61384. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JPHOTOV.2014.2388076. 2156-3381 © 2014 IEEE. Personal use is permitted, but republication/redistribution requires IEEE permission.
Davidson, C., T.L. James, R. Margolis, R. Fu, and D. Feldman. 2014. U.S. Residential Photovoltaic (PV) System Prices, Q4 2013 Benchmarks: Cash Purchase, Fair Market Value, and Prepaid Lease Transaction Prices. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-62671.
Feldman, D., G. Barbose, R. Margolis, T. James, S. Weaver, N. Darghouth, R. Fu, C. Davidson, S. Booth, and R. Wiser. 2014). Photovoltaic System Pricing Trends: Historical, Recent, and Near-Term Projections. 2014 Edition (Presentation). Sunshot, U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/PR-6A20-62558.
Full list of Ran Fu publications (NREL)
Basketball, guitar and snowboarding