Paul Denholm is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since October 2004
Phone number: 303-384-7488
Areas of expertise
- Modeling of electric power systems, including interaction of renewable and conventional energy technologies
- Analysis of energy storage including thermal energy storage
Primary research interests
- Effects of large-scale renewable energy deployment in electric power systems
- The role of grid flexibility in integrating renewable energy including energy storage, demand response and efficient market design
Education and background training
- B.S. in physics, 1993, James Madison University
- M.S. in instrumentation physics, 1995, University of Utah
- Ph.D. in land resources/energy analysis and policy, 2004, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Prior work experience
- Electrical engineer, Bardac Drives Corporation (1995-1999)
Denholm, Paul, Victor Diakov, and Robert Margolis. 2015. Relative Economic Merits of Storage and Combustion Turbines for Meeting Peak Capacity Requirements under Increased Penetration of Solar Photovoltaics. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-64841.
Denholm, P., R. Margolis, B. Palmintier, C. Barrows, E. Ibanez, L. Bird, and J. Zuboy. 2014. Methods for Analyzing the Benefits and Costs of Distributed Photovoltaic Generation to the U.S. Electric Utility System. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-62447.
Denholm, P., J. Jorgenson, M. Hummon, D. Palchak, B. Kirby, O. Ma, and M. O'Malley. 2013. Impact of Wind and Solar on the Value of Energy Storage. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-60568.
Denholm, P., M. Kuss, and R.M. Margolis. "Co-Benefits of Large Scale Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle and Solar PV Deployment." Journal of Power Sources 236 (August 2013): 350-56. NREL/JA-6A20-54247. doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.10.007
Denholm, P., Y.H. Wan, M. Hummon, and M. Mehos. 2013. Analysis of Concentrating Solar Power with Thermal Energy Storage in a California 33% Renewable Scenario. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-58186.
Sioshansi, R., P. Denholm, and T. Jenkin. "Market and Policy Barriers to Deployment of Energy Storage." Economics of Energy and Environmental Policy 1, no. 2 (March 2012): 47-63. NREL/JA-6A20-53820. doi:10.5547/2160-58220.127.116.11
Denholm, P., and M. Hand. "Grid Flexibility and Storage Required to Achieve Very High Penetration of Variable Renewable Electricity." Energy Policy 39, no. 3 (March 2011): 1817-30. NREL/JA-6A20-49400. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2011.01.019
Denholm, P., E. Ela, B. Kirby, and M. Milligan. 2010. Role of Energy Storage with Renewable Electricity Generation. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A2-47187.
Full list of Paul Denholm publications (NREL)