Paul Denholm is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since October 2004
Phone number: 303-384-7488
Areas of expertise
- Modeling of electric power systems, including interaction of renewable and conventional energy technologies
- Analysis of energy storage including thermal energy storage
Primary research interests
- Effects of large-scale renewable energy deployment in electric power systems
- The role of grid flexibility in integrating renewable energy including energy storage, demand response and efficient market design
Education and background training
- B.S. in physics, 1993, James Madison University
- M.S. in instrumentation physics, 1995, University of Utah
- Ph.D. in land resources/energy analysis and policy, 2004, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Prior work experience
- Electrical engineer, Bardac Drives Corporation (1995-1999)
Denholm, P.; Margolis, R.; Palmintier, B.; Barrows, C.; Ibanez, E.; Bird, L.; Zuboy, J. (2014). Methods for Analyzing the Benefits and Costs of Distributed Photovoltaic Generation to the U.S. Electric Utility System. 86 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-62447.
Denholm, P.; Jorgenson, J.; Hummon, M.; Palchak, D.; Kirby, B.; Ma, O.; O'Malley, M. (2013). Impact of Wind and Solar on the Value of Energy Storage. 40 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-60568.
Denholm, P.; Kuss, M.; Margolis, R. M. (2013). "Co-Benefits of Large Scale Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle and Solar PV Deployment." Journal of Power Sources. Vol. 236, 15 August 2013; pp. 350-356; NREL Report No. JA-6A20-54247. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.10.007
Denholm, P.; Wan, Y. H.; Hummon, M.; Mehos, M. (2013). Analysis of Concentrating Solar Power with Thermal Energy Storage in a California 33% Renewable Scenario. 34 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-58186.
Sioshansi, R.; Denholm, P.; Jenkin, T. (2012). "Market and Policy Barriers to Deployment of Energy Storage." Economics of Energy and Environmental Policy. Vol. 1(2), March 2012; pp. 47-63; NREL Report No. JA-6A20-53820. http://dx.doi.org/10.5547/2160-58220.127.116.11
Denholm, P.; Hand, M. (2011). "Grid Flexibility and Storage Required to Achieve Very High Penetration of Variable Renewable Electricity." Energy Policy. Vol. 39(3), March 2011; pp. 1817-1830; NREL Report No. JA-6A20-49400. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2011.01.019
Denholm, P., E. Ela, B. Kirby, M. Milligan. (2010). "Role of Energy Storage with Renewable Electricity Generation." NREL Report No. TP-6A2-47187.
Full list of Paul Denholm publications (NREL)