Owen Zinaman is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Policy and Regulatory Specialist
On staff since March 2012
Phone number: 303-275-4589
Areas of expertise
- Regulation of energy efficiency and distributed generation
- Nexus of natural gas and renewable energy
- Power system impacts of renewable energy, distributed generation and demand-side management
- Modeling of electric sector regulation and policy in capacity expansion and dispatch models, e.g. the Regional Energy Deployment System (ReEDS) model
Primary research interests
- International best practices in clean energy regulation
- Development of power sector modelling tools for long-range planning in emerging economies
- Power system models of the future
- Technical and economic flexibility of power systems
- Design, operation, and impacts of hybrid energy systems
Education and background training
- M.S.E. in nuclear engineering and radiological sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2010
- B.S.E. in nuclear engineering and radiological sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2009
Prior work experience
- Volunteer, Odanadi Seva Trust, Mysore, Karnataka, India (2011)
- Graduate Technical Intern, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM (2010)
- Research Assistant, Fission Systems and Radiation Transport Group, Ann Arbor, MI (2009 - 2010)
- Technical Intern, General Electric – Hitachi Nuclear Energy, Wilmington, NC (2008)
Zinaman, O.; Mai, T.; Lantz, E.; Gelman, R.; Porro, G. (2014). ReEDS Modeling of the President's 2020 U.S. Renewable Electricity Generation Goal (Presentation). NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory).38 pp.; NREL Report No. PR-6A20-62077.
Steinberg, D.; Zinaman, O. (2014). State Energy Efficiency Resource Standards: Design, Status, and Impacts. 43 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-61023.
Zinaman, O.; Miller, M.; Bazilian, M. (2014). Evolving Role of the Power Sector Regulator: A Clean Energy Regulators Initiative Report. 18 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-61570.
Cochran, J.; Miller, M.; Zinaman, O.; Milligan, M.; Arent, D.; Palmintier, B.; O'Malley, M.; Mueller, S.; Lannoye, E.; Tuohy, A.; Kujala, B.; Sommer, M.; Holttinen, H.; Kiviluoma, J.; Soonee, S. K. (2014). Flexibility in 21st Century Power Systems. 21st Century Power Partnership. 13 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-61721.
Lantz, E.; Steinberg, D.; Mendelsohn, M.; Zinaman, O.; James, T.; Porro, G.; Hand, M.; Mai, T.; Logan, J.; Heeter, J.; Bird, L. (2014). Implications of a PTC Extension on U.S. Wind Deployment. 32 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-61663.
Cochran, J.; Zinaman, O.; Logan, J.; Arent, D. (2014). Exploring the Potential Business Case for Synergies Between Natural Gas and Renewable Energy. 33 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A50-60052.
Ruth, M.; Zinaman, O.; Antkowiak, M.; Boardman, R.; Cherry, R.; Bazilian, M. (2014). "Nuclear-renewable hybrid energy systems: Opportunities, interconnections, and needs." Energy Conversion and Management. Vol. 78; pp.684-694; February. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2013.11.030.
Lee, A.; Zinaman, O.; Logan, J. (2012). Opportunities for Synergy Between Natural Gas and Renewable Energy in the Electric Power and Transportation Sectors. 59 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A50-56324.
Lee, A.; Zinaman, O.; Logan, J.; Bazilian, M.; Arent, D.; Newmark, R.L. (2012). "Interactions, Complementarities and Tensions at the Nexus of Natural Gas and Renewable Energy." The Electricity Journal. Vol. 25(10); pp. 38-48; December. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tej.2012.10.021.
B. Cipiti and O. Zinaman. (2010). "Separations and Safeguards Model Integration." Sandia Report 2010-5962.
B. Cipiti and O. Zinaman. (2010). "The Integration of Process Monitoring for Safeguards." Sandia Report 2010-6593.
Full list of Owen Zinaman publications (NREL)