Owen Zinaman is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Electricity Systems Modeler
On staff since March 2012
Phone number: 303-275-4589
Areas of expertise
- Nexus of natural gas and renewable energy
- State and federal energy efficiency, renewable energy, and climate change policy
- Electric sector capacity expansion and dispatch modeling, e.g. the Regional Energy Deployment System (ReEDS) model
Primary research interests
- Energy policy analysis using techno-economic models
- Natural gas and electric market design
- Design, operation, and impacts of hybrid energy systems
- Sustainability practices in natural gas production processes
Education and background training
- M.S.E. in nuclear engineering and radiological sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2010
- B.S.E. in nuclear engineering and radiological sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2009
Prior work experience
- Volunteer, Odanadi Seva Trust, Mysore, Karnataka, India (2011)
- Graduate Technical Intern, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM (2010)
- Research Assistant, Fission Systems and Radiation Transport Group, Ann Arbor, MI (2009 - 2010)
- Technical Intern, General Electric – Hitachi Nuclear Energy, Wilmington, NC (2008)
Cochran, J.; Zinaman, O.; Logan, J.; Arent, D. (2014). Exploring the Potential Business Case for Synergies Between Natural Gas and Renewable Energy. 33 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A50-60052.
Ruth, M.; Zinaman, O.; Antkowiak, M.; Boardman, R.; Cherry, R.; Bazilian, M. (2014). "Nuclear-renewable hybrid energy systems: Opportunities, interconnections, and needs." Energy Conversion and Management. Vol. 78; pp.684-694; February. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2013.11.030.
Lee, A.; Zinaman, O.; Logan, J. (2012). Opportunities for Synergy Between Natural Gas and Renewable Energy in the Electric Power and Transportation Sectors. 59 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A50-56324.
Lee, A.; Zinaman, O.; Logan, J.; Bazilian, M.; Arent, D.; Newmark, R.L. (2012). "Interactions, Complementarities and Tensions at the Nexus of Natural Gas and Renewable Energy." The Electricity Journal. Vol. 25(10); pp. 38-48; December. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tej.2012.10.021.
B. Cipiti and O. Zinaman. (2010). "Separations and Safeguards Model Integration." Sandia Report 2010-5962.
B. Cipiti and O. Zinaman. (2010). "The Integration of Process Monitoring for Safeguards." Sandia Report 2010-6593.
Ashtanga, politics, music, hiking, travel, cooking