Nate Blair is the group manager of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since September 2002
Phone number: 303-384-7426
Areas of expertise
- Linear programming with General Algebraic Modeling System (GAMS)
- Building and system simulation tools, especially the TRaNsient SYstem Simulation Program (TRNSYS)
- Concentrating solar power system modeling
- Experimental solar water-heating experience
Primary research interests
- Macroeconomic energy-impact analysis
- Wind-power market modeling
- Transient power system modeling
- Building performance measurement
Education and background training
- M.B.A., 2002, University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Business
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, 1993, University of Wisconsin-Madison Solar Energy Laboratory
- B.A. in physics, 1992, Gustavus Adolphus College
Prior work experience
- Intern, Global Energy Partners, LLC (June 2001-August 2001)
- Intern, Sandia National Lab - Concentrating Solar Power Group (May 2000-August 2000)
- Project Engineer, Thermal Energy System Specialists (August 1998-November 1999)
- Visiting Researcher, Center for Science and Technologies in Buildings (CSTB) (November 1997-May 1998)
- Visiting Researcher, Transsolar EnergiTechnik GMBH (July 1997-October 1997)
- TRNSYS Coordinator, UW-Madison Solar Energy Lab (1994-1997)
- TRNSYS Coordinator Assistant, UW-Madison Solar Energy Lab (March 1994-August 1994)
- Staff Engineer, Energy Center of Wisconsin (March 1994-August 1994)
- Research assistant, UW-Madison Solar Energy Lab (August 1992-December 1993)
- Member of the American Solar Energy Society (ASES)
- Member of the International Solar Energy Society (ISES)
- Member of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
Freeman, J., J. Whitmore, N. Blair, and A.P. Dobos. 2014. Validation of Multiple Tools for Flat Plate Photovoltaic Modeling Against Measured Data. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-61497.
Blair, N., A. Dobos, and N. Sather. 2012. Case Studies Comparing System Advisor Model (SAM) Results to Real Performance Data: Preprint. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-6A20-54676.
Lopez, A., B. Roberts, D. Heimiller, N. Blair, and G. Porro. 2012. U.S. Renewable Energy Technical Potentials: A GIS-Based Analysis. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-51946.
Short, W., P. Sullivan, T. Mai, M. Mowers, C. Uriarte, N. Blair, D. Heimiller, and A. Martinez. 2011. Regional Energy Deployment System (ReEDS). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-46534.
Blair, N., T. Jenkin, J. Milford, W. Short, P. Sullivan, D. Evans, E. Lieberman, G. Goldstein, E. Wright, K.R. Jayaraman, B. Venkatesh, G. Kleiman, C. Namovicz, B. Smith, K. Palmer, R. Wiser, F. Wood. 2009. Renewable Energy and Efficiency Modeling Analysis Partnership (REMAP): An Analysis of How Different Energy Models Addressed a Common High Renewable Energy Penetration Scenario in 2025. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A2-45656.
Blair, N., M. Mehos, C. Christensen, C. Cameron. 2008. Modeling Photovoltaic and Concentrating Solar Power Trough Performance, Cost, and Financing with the Solar Advisor Model: Preprint. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-670-42922.
Full list of Nate Blair publications (NREL)