Nate Blair is the group manager of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since September 2002
Phone number: 303-384-7426
Areas of expertise
- Linear programming with General Algebraic Modeling System (GAMS)
- Building and system simulation tools, especially the TRaNsient SYstem Simulation Program (TRNSYS)
- Concentrating solar power system modeling
- Experimental solar water-heating experience
Primary research interests
- Macroeconomic energy-impact analysis
- Wind-power market modeling
- Transient power system modeling
- Building performance measurement
Education and background training
- M.B.A., 2002, University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Business
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, 1993, University of Wisconsin-Madison Solar Energy Laboratory
- B.A. in physics, 1992, Gustavus Adolphus College
Prior work experience
- Intern, Global Energy Partners, LLC (June 2001-August 2001)
- Intern, Sandia National Lab - Concentrating Solar Power Group (May 2000-August 2000)
- Project Engineer, Thermal Energy System Specialists (August 1998-November 1999)
- Visiting Researcher, Center for Science and Technologies in Buildings (CSTB) (November 1997-May 1998)
- Visiting Researcher, Transsolar EnergiTechnik GMBH (July 1997-October 1997)
- TRNSYS Coordinator, UW-Madison Solar Energy Lab (1994-1997)
- TRNSYS Coordinator Assistant, UW-Madison Solar Energy Lab (March 1994-August 1994)
- Staff Engineer, Energy Center of Wisconsin (March 1994-August 1994)
- Research assistant, UW-Madison Solar Energy Lab (August 1992-December 1993)
- Member of the American Solar Energy Society (ASES)
- Member of the International Solar Energy Society (ISES)
- Member of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
Blair, N.; Dobos, A.; Sather, N. (2012). Case Studies Comparing System Advisor Model (SAM) Results to Real Performance Data: Preprint. 8 pp.; NREL Report No. CP-6A20-54676.
Lopez, A.; Roberts, B.; Heimiller, D.; Blair, N.; Porro, G. (2012). U.S. Renewable Energy Technical Potentials: A GIS-Based Analysis. 40 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-51946.
Short, W.; Sullivan, P.; Mai, T.; Mowers, M.; Uriarte, C.; Blair, N.; Heimiller, D.; Martinez, A. (2011). Regional Energy Deployment System (ReEDS). 94 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-46534.
Blair, N.; Jenkin, T.; Milford, J.; Short, W.; Sullivan, P.; Evans, D.; Lieberman, E.; Goldstein, G.; Wright, E.; Jayaraman, K. R.; Venkatesh, B.; Kleiman, G.; Namovicz, C.; Smith, B.; Palmer, K.; Wiser, R.; Wood, F. (2009). Renewable Energy and Efficiency Modeling Analysis Partnership (REMAP): An Analysis of How Different Energy Models Addressed a Common High Renewable Energy Penetration Scenario in 2025. 111 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A2-45656.
Blair, N.; Mehos, M.; Christensen, C.; Cameron, C. (2008). Modeling Photovoltaic and Concentrating Solar Power Trough Performance, Cost, and Financing with the Solar Advisor Model: Preprint. 10 pp.; NREL Report No. CP-670-42922.
Full list of Nate Blair publications (NREL)
Downhill skiing, biking, running, traveling, computers, creative writing