Michael Woodhouse is a member of the Technology Systems and Sustainability Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Solar PV Technologies and Economics Analyst
On staff since 2008
Phone number: 303-384-7623
Areas of expertise
- Fundamental science of photovoltaics (PV) and solar hydrogen technologies
- Economics of PV - From manufacturing to levelized cost of energy (LCOE)
Primary research interests
- Manufacturing costs, systems-level installation costs and LCOE estimates for PV technologies
- Capital costs and LCOE estimates for other power generating technologies, including other renewables and also the traditional sources
- Serve as Associate Editor for The Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, for publications within the topical areas of International Energy Economics and Policy.
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in physical chemistry and materials science, Colorado State University with NREL collaboration, 2007
- B.A. in secondary education, physics and chemistry, University of Wyoming, 1998
Prior work experience
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, NREL. Focused on the construction of solar cells using novel organic-based materials. (2008-2010)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Colorado State University. Focused on discovery and optimization of new materials for solar hydrogen production. (2002-2007)
- High school teacher, physics and chemistry. (1998-2002)
Fu, R., T.L. James, M. Woodhouse. "Economic Measurements of Polysilicon for the Photovoltaic Industry: Market Competition and Manufacturing Competitiveness." IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 5, no. 2 (March 2015): 515-24. NREL/JA-6A20-61384. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JPHOTOV.2014.2388076. 2156-3381 © 2014 IEEE. Personal use is permitted, but republication/redistribution requires IEEE permission.
Goodrich, A.C., D.M. Powell, T.L. James, M. Woodhouse, and T. Buonassisi. 2013. "Assessing the Drivers of Regional Trends in Solar Photovoltaic Manufacturing." Energy and Environmental Science 6, no. 10 (October 2013): 2811-21. NREL/JA-6A20-58652. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C3EE40701B.
Goodrich, A., P. Hacke, Q. Wang, B. Sopori, R. Margolis, T.L. James, and Woodhouse, M. "A wafer-based monocrystalline silicon photovoltaics road map: Utilizing known technology improvement opportunities for further reductions in manufacturing costs." Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 114 (July 2013): 110–35. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2013.01.030. Supplemental Information.
Woodhouse, M., A. Goodrich, R. Margolis, T.L. James, M. Lokanc, and R. Eggert. "Supply-Chain Dynamics of Tellurium, Indium, and Gallium Within the Context of PV Manufacturing Costs." IEEE Journal Of Photovoltaics 3, no. 2 (April 2013): 833-37.
Woodhouse, M., A. Goodrich, T. James, R. Margolis, R. Eggert, R., and D. Albin. "Perspectives on the Pathways for Cadmium Telluride Module Manufacturers to Address Expected Increases in the Price of Tellurium." Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells (2012). In Press.
Goodrich, A., P. Hacke, Q. Wang, B. Sopori, R. Margolis, T. James, and M. Woodhouse. "A wafer-based monocrystalline silicon photovoltaics roadmap: utilizing known technology improvement opportunities for further reductions in manufacturing costs." Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells (2012). Accepted.
Goodrich, A., M. Woodhouse, and P. Hacke. 2012. Value Proposition for High Lifetime (p-type) and Thin Silicon Materials in Solar PV Applications: Preprint. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-6A20-55477.
Goodrich, A., T. James, and M. Woodhouse. 2012. Residential, Commercial, and Utility-Scale Photovoltaic (PV) System Prices in the United States: Current Drivers and Cost-Reduction Opportunities. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-53347.
James, T., A. Goodrich, M. Woodhouse, R. Margolis, and S. Ong. 2011. Building-Integrated Photovoltaics (BIPV) in the Residential Sector: An Analysis of Installed Rooftop System Prices. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-53103.
Woodhouse, M., A. Goodrich, T. James, R. Margolis, D. Feldman, T. Markel. "An Economic Analysis of Photovoltaics versus Traditional Energy Sources: Where are we Now and Where Might we be in the Near Future?" Paper presented at IEEE Photovoltaics Specialist Conference, Seattle, WA, 2011.
Goodrich, A., T. James, and M. Woodhouse. 2011. Solar PV Manufacturing Cost Analysis: U.S. Competitiveness in a Global Industry (Presentation). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/PR-6A20-53938.
Woodhouse, M., A. Goodrich, T. James, R. Margolis, D. Feldman, and T. Markel. 2011. Economic Analysis of Photovoltaics versus Traditional Energy Sources: Where are We Now and Where Might We Be in the Near Future? (Presentation). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/PR-6A20-52311.
Full list of Michael Woodhouse publications (NREL)