Mark Ruth is the principal project lead of the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Principal Project Lead – Integrated Energy System Model
On staff since 1993 (SEAC staff since 2014)
Phone number: 303-384-6874
Areas of expertise
- Energy systems and their simulation
- Biomass processing to fuels and chemicals
- Hydrogen production and delivery
- Transportation issues
Primary research interests
- Tool development
- Energy systems integration (ESI)
- Energy distribution
- Retail market structures and consumers
- Technology integration
- Innovation options
Education and background training
- B.S. in chemical engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 1993
Prior work experience
- Hydrogen Program Integrator, NREL – Systems Engineering and Program Integration Office (October 2008 - November 2013)
- Interim Biomass Program Integrator, NREL – Systems Engineering and Program Integration (March 2010 - October 2010)
- Senior Engineer II, NREL – Systems Integration (January 2008 - October 2008)
- Senior Engineer I – Macro-System Model, NREL – Systems Integration (January 2005 - January 2008)
- Process Engineer I, NREL – Biomass Center (June 1993 - January 2005)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineering
Bragg-Sitton, S.M., R. Boardman, M. Ruth, O. Zinaman, and C. Forsberg. "Rethinking the Future Grid: Integrated Nuclear Renewable Energy Systems: Preprint." Paper presented at the 9th Nuclear Plants Current Issues Symposium: Moving Forward, Charlotte, NC, December 2014. NREL/CP-6A20-63207.
Ruth, M.F., O.R. Zinaman, M. Antkowiak, R.D. Boardman, R.S. Cherry, and M.D. Bazilian. "Nuclear-Renewable Hybrid Energy Systems: Opportunities, Interconnections, and Needs." Energy Conversion and Management 78 (February 2014): 684-94. NREL/JA-6A50-58087. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2013.11.030
Timbario, T.A., T.J. Timbario, M.J. Laffen, and M.F. Ruth. 2011. "Methodology for Calculating Cost-Per-Mile for Current and Future Vehicle Powertrain Technologies, with Projections to 2024." Paper presented at Society of Automotive Engineers 2011 World Congress & Exhibition, Advanced Fuel Cell Vehicle Applications, Warrendale, PA, 2011. Paper No. 2011-01-1345. NREL/CP-6A10-52454. doi:10.4271/2011-01-1345.
Ruth, M., T. Mai, E. Newes, A. Aden, E. Warner, C. Uriarte, D. Inman, T. Simpkins, and A. Argo. 2013. Transportation Energy Futures Series: Projected Biomass Utilization for Fuels and Power in a Mature Market. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-53336; DOE/GO-102013-3707.
Ruth, M., M. Laffen, and T.A. Timbario. 2009. Hydrogen Pathways: Cost, Well-to-Wheels Energy Use, and Emissions for the Current Technology Status of Seven Hydrogen Production, Delivery, and Distribution Scenarios. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A1-46612.
Aden, A., M. Ruth, K. Ibsen, J. Jechura, K. Neeves, J. Sheehan, B. Wallace, L. Montague, A. Slayton, and J. Lukas. 2002. Lignocellulosic Biomass to Ethanol Process Design and Economics Utilizing Co-Current Dilute Acid Prehydrolysis and Enzymatic Hydrolysis for Corn Stover. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-510-32438.
Full list of Mark Ruth publications (NREL)