Mark Ruth is the principal project lead of the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Principal Project Lead – Integrated Energy System Model
On staff since 1993 (SEAC staff since 2014)
Phone number: 303-384-6874
Areas of expertise
- Energy systems and their simulation.
- Biomass processing to fuels and chemicals
- Hydrogen production and delivery
- Transportation issues
Primary research interests
- Tool development
- Energy systems integration (ESI)
- Energy distribution
- Retail market structures and consumers
- Technology integration
- Innovation options
Education and background training
- B.S. in chemical engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 1993
Prior work experience
- Hydrogen Program Integrator, NREL – Systems Engineering and Program Integration Office (October 2008 to November 2013)
- Interim Biomass Program Integrator, NREL – Systems Engineering and Program Integration (March 2010 to October 2010)
- Senior Engineer II, NREL – Systems Integration (January 2008 to October 2008)
- Senior Engineer I – Macro-System Model, NREL – Systems Integration (January 2005 to January 2008)
- Process Engineer I, NREL – Biomass Center (June 1993 to January 2005)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineering
Ruth, M. F.; Zinaman, O. R.; Antkowiak, M.; Boardman, R. D.; Cherry, R. S.; Bazilian, M. D. (2014). Nuclear-Renewable Hybrid Energy Systems: Opportunities, Interconnections, and Needs. Energy Conversion and Management. Vol. 78, February 2014; pp. 684-694; NREL Report No. JA-6A50-58087. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2013.11.030
Timbario, T. A.; Timbario, T. J.; Laffen, M. J.; Ruth, M. F. (2011). Methodology for Calculating Cost-Per-Mile for Current and Future Vehicle Powertrain Technologies, with Projections to 2024. Paper No. 2011-01-1345. Advanced Fuel Cell Vehicle Applications, 2011. SP-2309. Warrendale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 22 pp.; NREL Report No. CP-6A10-52454. http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1345
Ruth, M.; Mai, T.; Newes, E.; Aden, A.; Warner, E.; Uriarte, C.; Inman, D.; Simpkins, T.; Argo, A. (2013). Transportation Energy Futures Series: Projected Biomass Utilization for Fuels and Power in a Mature Market. 174 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-53336; DOE/GO-102013-3707.
Ruth, M.; Laffen, M.; Timbario, T. A. (2009). Hydrogen Pathways: Cost, Well-to-Wheels Energy Use, and Emissions for the Current Technology Status of Seven Hydrogen Production, Delivery, and Distribution Scenarios. 286 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A1-46612.
Aden, A.; Ruth, M.; Ibsen, K.; Jechura, J.; Neeves, K.; Sheehan, J.; Wallace, B.; Montague, L.; Slayton, A.; Lukas, J. (2002). Lignocellulosic Biomass to Ethanol Process Design and Economics Utilizing Co-Current Dilute Acid Prehydrolysis and Enzymatic Hydrolysis for Corn Stover. 154 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-510-32438.
Full list of Mark Ruth publications (NREL)
Father of twin girls, running, road cycling, reading, juggling