Lori Bird is a member of the Market & Policy Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since early 1999
Phone number: 303-384-7412
Areas of expertise
- Market analysis
- Policy analysis
Primary research interests
- Renewable energy and carbon markets
- Renewable energy policy
- Interplay of emissions and renewables policies
Education and background training
- M.E.S. in environmental management, 1997, Yale University, School of Forestry and Environmental Management
- B.A. in economics and environmental studies, 1991, Indiana University
Prior work experience
- Contractor, U.S. Department of Energy, Denver Regional Support Office, Golden, Colorado (1997-1998)
- Hagler Bailly Consulting, Boulder, Colorado (1991-1995)
- Member of the American Solar Energy Society (ASES)
- Member of the Colorado Renewable Energy Society
- Member of Environmental Markets Association
Bird, L., J. Cochran, and X. Wang. 2014. Wind and Solar Energy Curtailment: Experience and Practices in the United States. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-60983.
Heeter, J., R. Gelman, L. Bird. 2014. Status of Net Metering: Assessing the Potential to Reach Program Caps. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-61858.
Bird, L., M. Milligan, and D. Lew. 2013. Integrating Variable Renewable Energy: Challenges and Solutions. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-60451.
Cochran, J., L. Bird, J. Heeter, and D.J. Arent. 2012. Integrating Variable Renewable Energy in Electric Power Markets: Best Practices from International Experience, Summary for Policymakers. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-53730.
Bird, L. and M. Milligan. 2012. Lessons from Large-Scale Renewable Energy Integration Studies: Preprint. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-6A20-54666.
Bird, L. and J. Sumner. 2011. Using Renewable Energy Purchases to Achieve Institutional Carbon Goals: A Review of Current Practices and Considerations. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-49938.
Bird, L., C. Chapman, J. Logan, J. Sumner, and W. Short. 2011. "Evaluating Renewable Portfolio Standards and Carbon Cap Scenarios in the U.S. Electric Sector." Energy Policy 39, no. 5 (May 2011): 2573-85; NREL/JA-6A20-50749. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2011.02.025
Full list of Lori Bird publications (NREL)
Ultimate Frisbee, skiing, mountain biking, hiking