Katherine Young, P.E.
Katherine Young is a member of the Technology Systems and Sustainability Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Geothermal Energy Engineer
On staff since June 2008
Phone number: 303-384-7402
Areas of expertise
- Geothermal planning and opportunities
- Database planning and development
Primary research interests
- Geothermal and hydroelectric energy opportunities
- U.S. DOE Geothermal Program Information
Education and background training
- Continuing Education at University of Colorado in Boulder and Denver
- Groundwater modeling
- Quantitative methods in water resource engineering
- Water resource engineering and management
- Independent study in groundwater hydrology
- M.S. in geochemistry and isotope geology, 2002, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- B.S. in geology/geological engineering, 1998, University of Wisconsin - Madison (Certificate in technical communications)
Prior work experience
- Project Manager, Martin and Wood Water Consultants, Inc. (2003-2008)
- Database Developer, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Denver, CO (2003)
- Geology Teacher, Swiss Semester, Zermatt, Switzerland (2002)
- Teacher, CU Science Discovery, Boulder, CO (2002)
- Research Assistant, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor (2000-2002)
- Computer Analyst, Andersen Consulting (Accenture), Seattle, WA, Paris, France (1999-2000)
- Technical Writer, Rock Fracture Group, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI (1998)
- Research Assistant, Stormwater Management Group, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI (1997-1998)
- Field Engineer, Schlumberger Dowell, Fort Smith, AK (1997)
- CAD/CAM Intern, Mercury Marine, Fond du Lac, WI (1995-1997)
- Member of National Ground Water Association
- Member of American Water Resources Association
- Member of Geological Society of America
- Member of Colorado Water Congress
- Member of Colorado Ground-Water Association
Akar, S.; Young, K. R. (2015). Assessment of New Approaches in Geothermal Exploration Decision Making (Poster). NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). 1 pg.; NREL Report No. PO-6A20-63988.
Akar, S.; Young, K. (2015). Reducing Subjectivity in Geothermal Exploration Decision Making (Presentation). NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). 36 pp.; NREL Report No. PR-6A20-63762.
Akar, S.; Young, K. R. (2015). Assessment of New Approaches in Geothermal Exploration Decision Making: Preprint. 12 pp.; NREL Report No. CP-6A20-63546.
Augustine, C.; Young, K. R.; Anderson, A. (2010). DOE Updated U.S. Geothermal: Supply Curve (Presentation). 21 pp.; NREL Report No. PR-6A2-47527.
Augustine, C.; Young, K. R.; Anderson, A. (2010). Updated U.S. Geothermal Supply Curve. 19 pp.; NREL Report No. CP-6A2-47458.
Young, K. R.; Augustine, C.; Anderson, A. (2010). DOE 2009 Geothermal Risk Analysis: Methodology and Results (Presentation). 19 pp.; NREL Report No. PR-6A2-47526.
Young, K. R.; Augustine, C.; Anderson, A. (2010). Report on the U.S. DOE Geothermal Technologies Program's 2009 Risk Analysis. 12 pp.; NREL Report No. CP-6A2-47388.
Doris, E.; Kreycik, C.; Young, K. (2009). Policy Overview and Options for Maximizing the Role of Policy in Geothermal Electricity Development. 42 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A2-46653.
Full list of Katherine Young publications (NREL)
Hiking, biking, running, camping, skiing, music, traveling, home improvement