Karlynn Cory is a section supervisor of the Technology Systems and Sustainability Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Manager, Technology Systems and Utility Analysis
On staff since August 2005
Phone number: 303-384-7464
Areas of expertise
- Techno-economic analysis of solar PV, wind, and geothermal technologies
- Renewable energy project finance of commercially available technologies (e.g., 3rd party PPAs and leases, sales leaseback, flip structures, etc.)
- Renewable policy and market innovations (e.g., Net Energy Metering, Value of Solar, Feed-in Tariffs, etc.)
Primary research interests
- Electric utility decision-making and modeling of clean energy
- Utility distributed solar business models
- Policy and market innovations to support RE project finance
- Renewable electricity policy best practices
Education and background training
- Master's in technology and policy, 1998, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Bachelor's in mechanical engineering, 1994, Tufts University
Prior work experience
- Strategy and business development manager, Mass Technology Collaborative, Westborough, Mass. (2003-2005)
- Renewable energy specialist, La Capra Associates, Boston, Mass. (1999-2003)
- Research associate, Tellus Institute, Boston, Mass. (1998-1999)
- Research analyst, U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), various locations (1994-1996)
Taylor, M.; McLaren, J.; Cory, K.; Davidovich, T.; Sterling, J.; Makhyoun, M. (2015). Value of Solar: Program Design and Implementation Considerations. 84 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-62361.
Sterling, J.; McLaren, J.; Taylor, M.; Cory, K. (2013). Treatment of Solar Generation in Electric Utility Resource Planning. 82 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-60047.
Rickerson, W.; Gifford, J.; Grace, R.; Cory, K. (2012). Geothermal FIT Design: International Experience and U.S. Considerations. 82 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-53320.
Mendelsohn, M.; Kreycik, C.; Bird, L.; Schwabe, P.; Cory, K. (2012). Impact of Financial Structure on the Cost of Solar Energy. 40 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-53086.
Cory, K.; Canavan, B.; Koenig, R. (2009). Power Purchase Agreement Checklist for State and Local Governments. Energy Analysis; Fact Sheet Series on Financing Renewable Energy Projects, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). 12 pp.; NREL Report No. FS-6A2-46668.
Cory, K.; Coughlin, J.; Coggeshall, C. (2008). Solar Photovoltaic Financing: Deployment on Public Property by State and Local Governments. 72 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-670-43115.
Cory, K.; Coughlin, J.; Jenkin, T.; Pater, J.; Swezey, B. (2008). Innovations in Wind and Solar PV Financing. 39 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-670-42919.
Cory, K. S.; Swezey, B. (2007). "Renewable Portfolio Standards in the States: Balancing Goals and Rules." Electricity Journal. Vol. 40(4), May 2007, pp. 21-32. NREL Report No. JA-640-41876. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tej.2007.03.008
Full list of Karlynn Cory publications (NREL)
Hiking, tennis, travel, great food and wine