Joyce McLaren is a member of the Market and Policy Impact Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Senior Energy Analyst
On staff since February 2009
Phone number: 303-384-7362
Areas of expertise
- State and local policy analysis
- Contextual factors influencing renewable energy development
- Public acceptance issues
- European renewable energy development issues
Primary research interests
- Social and cultural issues affecting energy development and use
- Policy interactions and the development of effective policy portfolios
- International collaborations supporting sustainable energy development
- Collaborative methods for conflict resolution regarding energy choices
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in science and technology policy (energy and environment), University of Sussex, England, 2005
- M.S. in community development (energy), University of California - Davis, 1997
- B.A. in anthropology/sociology (environmental studies), Transylvania University, Lexington, KY, 1994
Prior work experience
- International Visiting Researcher, Franco-American Fulbright Scholar's Program, CLERSE, University Lille1, France (2007-2008)
- Consulting Editor, Environment and Energy, Umea, Sweden (2003-2007)
- Energy Specialist, Research and Development Office, California Energy Commission (2002-2003)
- Energy Analyst, Research and Development and Renewables Offices, California Energy Commission (1995-1999)
McLaren, J. (2011). Southeast Regional Clean Energy Policy Analysis (Revised). 116 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-49192.
Doris, E., J. McLaren, V. Healey, S. Hockett. (2009). "State of the States 2009: Renewable Energy Development and the Role of Policy." 231 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A2-46667.
Brown, E., S. Busche, S. Hockett, and J. McLaren. (2009). "The Role of State Policy in Renewable Energy Development." ASME, Proceedings of Energy Sustainability 2009. ES2009-900089.
McLaren Loring, J. "The rise of environmentalism and renewable energy in France: a contribution to a regulationist theory of the environment." (forthcoming).
Loring, J.M. (2007). "Wind energy planning in England, Wales and Denmark: Factors influencing project success." Energy Policy. 35, 2648-2660.
Full list of Joyce McLaren publications (NREL)
Yoga, gardening, hiking, cuisine, cultural studies