Joyce McLaren is a member of the Market and Policy Impact Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Senior Energy Analyst
On staff since February 2009
Phone number: 303-384-7362
Areas of Expertise & Primary Research Interests
- Renewable energy policy and program design
- Innovative business models for expanded distributed generation
- Utility planning and programs for renewable energy
- State and local technical assistance for renewable energy and efficiency
- International policy comparisons
- Collaborative methods for conflict resolution regarding energy choices
- Social and cultural issues affecting energy development and use
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in science and technology policy (energy and environment), University of Sussex, England, 2005
- M.S. in community development (energy), University of California - Davis, 1997
- B.A. in anthropology/sociology (environmental studies), Transylvania University, Lexington, KY, 1994
Prior work experience
- International Visiting Researcher, Franco-American Fulbright Scholar's Program, CLERSE, University Lille1, France (2007-2008)
- Consulting Editor, Environment and Energy, Umea, Sweden (2003-2007)
- Energy Specialist, Research and Development Office, California Energy Commission (2002-2003)
- Energy Analyst, Research and Development and Renewables Offices, California Energy Commission (1995-1999)
Cory, K.; Sterling, J.; Taylor, M.; McLaren, J. (2014). Treatment of Solar Generation in Electric Utility Resource Planning (Presentation). NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). 39 pp.; NREL Report No. PR-6A20-60946.
Hurlbut, D. J.; McLaren, J.; Gelman, R. (2013). Beyond Renewable Portfolio Standards: An Assessment of Regional Supply and Demand Conditions Affecting the Future of Renewable Energy in the West; Report and Executive Summary. 161 pp.; Executive Summary: 17 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-57830.
Sterling, J.; McLaren, J.; Taylor, M.; Cory, K. (2013). Treatment of Solar Generation in Electric Utility Resource Planning. 82 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-60047.
Bird, L.; McLaren, J.; Heeter, J.; Linvill, C.; Shenot, J.; Sedano, R.; Migden-Ostrander, J. (2013). Regulatory Considerations Associated with the Expanded Adoption of Distributed Solar. 73 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-60613.
Heeter, J.; McLaren, J. (2012). Innovations in Voluntary Renewable Energy Procurement: Methods for Expanding Access and Lowering Cost for Communities, Governments, and Businesses (Technical Report). NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). 36 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-54991.
McLaren, J. (2011). Southeast Regional Clean Energy Policy Analysis (Revised). 116 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-49192.
Doris, E.; McLaren, J.; Healey, V.; Hockett, S. (2009). State of the States 2009: Renewable Energy Development and the Role of Policy. 231 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A2-46667.
Doris, E. B.; Busche, S.; Hockett, S.; Loring, J. M. (2009). Role of State Policy in Renewable Energy Development. Paper No. ES2009-90089. Proceedings of the ASME 3rd International Conference on Energy Sustainability, 19-23 July 2009, San Francisco, California. New York: American Society of Mechanical Engineers Vol. 1: pp. 21-31; NREL Report No. CP-7A2-49059.
McLaren Loring, J. "The rise of environmentalism and renewable energy in France: a contribution to a regulationist theory of the environment." (forthcoming).
Loring, J.M. (2007). "Wind energy planning in England, Wales and Denmark: Factors influencing project success." Energy Policy. 35, 2648-2660.
Full list of Joyce McLaren publications (NREL)
Yoga, gardening, hiking, cuisine, cultural studies