Greg Brinkman is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Energy Analysis Engineer
On staff since May 2009
Phone number: 303-384-7390
Areas of expertise
- Unit commitment and dispatch modeling of electric power systems
- Emission estimation from electric power systems
- Air quality modeling
Primary research interests
- Integration of renewable energy, energy efficiency, and enabling technologies into the electric power system
- Environmental impacts of renewable energy and energy efficiency
Education and background training
- Ph.D in mechanical engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2009
- M.P.P. in environmental policy, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 2004
- B.S. in electrical engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2002
Prior work experience
- Research assistant, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO (2004-2009)
- Research fellow, Joint Global Change Research Institute, College Park, MD (2002-2004)
Milligan, M.; Ela, E.; Hein, J.; Schneider, T.; Brinkman, G.; Denholm, P. (2012). "Renewable Electricity Futures Study. Volume 4: Bulk Electric Power Systems: Operations and Transmission Planning." (Volume 4 of 4). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory 72 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-52409-4.
Hurlbut, D. J.; Haase, S.; Brinkman, G.; Funk, K.; Gelman, R.; Lantz, E.; Larney, C.; Peterson, D.; Worley, C.; Liebsch, E. (2012). "Navajo Generating Station and Air Visibility Regulations: Alternatives and Impacts (Revised). Energy Analysis, NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory)." 126 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-53024.
Brinkman, G.; Denholm, P.; Drury, E.; Ela, E.; Mai, T.; Margolis, R.; Mowers, M. (2012). "Grid Modeling for the SunShot Vision Study." 38 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-53310.
Brinkman, G.; Denholm, P.; Drury, E.; Margolis, R.; Mowers, M. (2011). "Toward a Solar-Powered Grid." IEEE Power and Energy Magazine. Vol. 9(3), May/June 2011; pp. 24-32; NREL Report No. JA-6A20-50319. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MPE.2011.940574
Brinkman, G. L.; Denholm, P.; Hannigan, M. P.; Milford, J. B. (2010). Effects of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles on Ozone Concentrations in Colorado. Environmental Science and Technology. Vol. 44(16), 2010; pp. 6256-6262; NREL Report No. JA-6A2-48656. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es101076c
Full list of Greg Brinkman publications (NREL)
Fishing, hiking, and running with my family