Greg Brinkman is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Energy Analysis Engineer
On staff since May 2009
Phone number: 303-384-7390
Areas of expertise
- Unit commitment and dispatch modeling of electric power systems
- Emission estimation from electric power systems
- Air quality modeling
Primary research interests
- Integration of renewable energy, energy efficiency, and enabling technologies into the electric power system
- Environmental impacts of renewable energy and energy efficiency
Education and background training
- Ph.D in mechanical engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2009
- M.P.P. in environmental policy, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 2004
- B.S. in electrical engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2002
Prior work experience
- Research assistant, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO (2004-2009)
- Research fellow, Joint Global Change Research Institute, College Park, MD (2002-2004)
Brinkman, Gregory, Jennie Jorgenson, Ali Ehlen, and James H. Caldwell. 2016. Low Carbon Grid Study: Analysis of a 50% Emission Reduction in California Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-64884.
Brinkman, Gregory. 2015. Renewable Electricity Futures: Operational Analysis of the Western Interconnection at Very High Renewable Penetrations. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-64467.
Denholm, P., G. Brinkman, D. Lew, and M. Hummon. 2014. Operation of Concentrating Solar Power Plants in the Western Wind and Solar Integration Phase 2 Study. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-61782.
Milligan, M., E. Ela, J. Hein, T. Schneider, G. Brinkman, and P. Denholm. 2012. Renewable Electricity Futures Study. Volume 4: Bulk Electric Power Systems: Operations and Transmission Planning. (Volume 4 of 4). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-52409-4.
Hurlbut, D.J., S. Haase, G. Brinkman, K. Funk, R. Gelman, E. Lantz, C. Larney, D. Peterson, C. Worley, and E. Liebsch. 2012. Navajo Generating Station and Air Visibility Regulations: Alternatives and Impacts (Revised). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-53024.
Brinkman, G., P. Denholm, E. Drury, E. Ela, T. Mai, R. Margolis, and M. Mowers. 2012. Grid Modeling for the SunShot Vision Study. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-53310.
Brinkman, G., P. Denholm, E. Drury, R. Margolis, and M. Mowers. 2011. "Toward a Solar-Powered Grid." IEEE Power and Energy Magazine 9, no. 3 (May/June 2011): 24-32. NREL Report No. JA-6A20-50319. doi:10.1109/MPE.2011.940574
Brinkman, G.L., P. Denholm, M.P. Hannigan, and J.B. Milford. 2010. "Effects of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles on Ozone Concentrations in Colorado." Environmental Science and Technology 44, no. 16 (July 2010): 6256-62. NREL/JA-6A2-48656. doi:10.1021/es101076c
Full list of Greg Brinkman publications (NREL)
Fishing, hiking, and running with my family