Emily K. Newes
Emily K. Newes is the group manager of the Technology Systems & Impacts Analysis in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since September 2009
Phone number: 303-275-3802
Areas of expertise
- Investigating the relationship between fossil and renewable resources by development of the Stochastic Energy Deployment System (SEDS)
- Analyzing variation in renewable energy deployment with potential policy implementation
- Utilizing system dynamics modeling to explore energy system behaviors
Primary research interests
- Strategies for increasing the share of non-traditional fuels in the marketplace
- Environmental implications of using renewable versus conventional generation
Education and background training
- M.S. in mineral economics (Operations Research specialty), Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, 2009
- B.A. in mathematical economics, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY, 2000
Prior work experience
- Manager of Primary Research, Platts, Westminster, CO (2003-2009)
- Economic Development Volunteer, U.S. Peace Corps, Honduras (2000-2002)
Newes, Emily K., Brian Bush, Corey T. Peck, and Steven O. Peterson. "Potential Leverage Points for Development of the Cellulosic Ethanol Industry Supply Chains." Biofuels 6, no. 1-2 (2015): 21-9. NREL/JA-6A20-62473. doi:10.1080/17597269.2015.1039452.
Peterson, S., C. Peck, D. Stright, E. Newes, D. Inman, L. Vimmerstedt, S. Hsu, and B. Bush. 2015. Overview of the Biomass Scenario Model. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-6A20-60172.
Brochure. 2013. International Trade of Wood Pellets. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/BR-6A20-56791.
Brochure. 2013. International Trade of Biofuels (Brochure). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/BR-6A20-56792.
Gurgur, C. and E. Newes. "Design of power purchase under transmission congestion." International Journal of Energy Sector Management 6, no. 1 (2012): 50-64. doi:10.1108/17506221211216535
Newes, E. B. Bush, D. Inman, Y. Lin, T. Mai, A. Martinez, D. Mulcahy, W. Short, T. Simpkins, C. Uriarte, and C. Peck. 2012. Biomass Resource Allocation among Competing End Uses. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-54217.
Newes, E. D. Inman, and B. Bush. "Understanding the Developing Cellulosic Biofuels Industry through Dynamic Modeling." Economic Effects of Biofuel Production, Rijeka, Croatia: InTech. Chapter 18 (2011): 373-404.
Newes, E.K. 2009. CVaR-Constrained Multi-Period Power Portfolio Optimization with Transmission Considerations. Masters Thesis. Golden, CO: Colorado School of Mines.
Klawon, E. and J. Tiefenthaler. "Bargaining over family size: The determinants of fertility in Brazil." Population Research and Policy Review 20 (2001): 423-40.
Full list of Emily Newes publications (NREL)