Emily K. Newes
Emily K. Newes is a member of the Technology Systems and Sustainability Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Energy Analyst - Impacts & Barriers Characterization Supervisor
On staff since September 2009
Phone number: 303-275-3802
Areas of expertise
- Investigating the relationship between fossil and renewable resources by development of the Stochastic Energy Deployment System (SEDS)
- Analyzing variation in renewable energy deployment with potential policy implementation
- Utilizing system dynamics modeling to explore energy system behaviors
Primary research interests
- Strategies for increasing the share of non-traditional fuels in the marketplace
- Environmental implications of using renewable versus conventional generation
Education and background training
- M.S. in mineral economics (Operations Research specialty), Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, 2009
- B.A. in mathematical economics, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY, 2000
Prior work experience
- Manager of Primary Research, Platts, Westminster, CO (2003-2009)
- Economic Development Volunteer, U.S. Peace Corps, Honduras (2000-2002)
International Trade of Wood Pellets (Brochure). Energy Analysis, NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). (2013). 6 pp.; NREL Report No. BR-6A20-56791.
International Trade of Biofuels (Brochure). Energy Analysis, NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). (2013). 4 pp.; NREL Report No. BR-6A20-56792.
Gurgur, C.; Newes, E. (2012). "Design of power purchase under transmission congestion." International Journal of Energy Sector Management. Vol. 6(1); pp. 50-64. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17506221211216535
Newes, E.; Bush, B.; Inman, D.; Lin, Y.; Mai, T.; Martinez, A.; Mulcahy, D.; Short, W.; Simpkins, T.; Uriarte, C.; Peck, C. (2012). Biomass Resource Allocation among Competing End Uses. 66 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-54217.
Newes, E.; Inman, D.; Bush, B. (2011). "Understanding the Developing Cellulosic Biofuels Industry through Dynamic Modeling." Chapter 18. Bernardes, M., ed. Economic Effects of Biofuel Production, Rijeka, Croatia: InTech; pp. 373-404.
Newes, E. K. (2009). CVaR-Constrained Multi-Period Power Portfolio Optimization with Transmission Considerations. Masters Thesis, Colorado School of Mines.
Klawon, E., and Tiefenthaler, J. (2001). "Bargaining over family size: The determinants of fertility in Brazil." Population Research and Policy Review, 20:423-440.
Full list of Emily Newes publications (NREL)
Running, mountain biking, backpacking, skiing.