David Palchak is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Energy Systems Engineer
On staff since September 2012
Phone number: 303-384-7456
Areas of expertise
- Electrical load forecasting with artificial neural networks
- Demand-side management optimization with Matlab
Primary research interests
- Demand response and renewable energy deployment modeling (PLEXOS)
Education and background training
- B.A. in biology, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio, 2006
- M.S in mechanical engineering, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, Colorado, 2012
Prior work experience
- Research Assistant, Engines and Energy Conversion Laboratory, Colorado State University (2010-2012)
- Materials Tester, Trautner Geotech (2008-2010)
Palchak, D., and P. Denholm. 2014. Impact of Generator Flexibility on Electric System Costs and Integration of Renewable Energy. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-62275.
Hummon, M., D. Palchak, P. Denholm, J. Jorgenson, D.J. Olsen, S. Kiliccote, N. Matson, M. Sohn, C. Rose, J. Dudley, S. Goli, and O. Ma. 2013. Grid Integration of Aggregated Demand Response, Part 2: Modeling Demand Response in a Production Cost Model. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-58492.
Hummon, M.R., P. Denholm, J. Jorgenson, D. Palchak, B. Kirby, and O. Ma. 2013. Fundamental Drivers of the Cost and Price of Operating Reserves. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-58491.
D. Palchak, S. Suryanarayanan, and D. Zimmerle. "An Artificial Neural Network in Short-Term Load Forecasting of a University Campus: A Case Study." J. Energy Resour. Technol 135, no. 3 (May 2013). Paper No: JERT-12-1033. doi: 10.1115/1.4023741
Full list of David Palchak publications (NREL)