David Palchak is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Energy Systems Engineer
On staff since September 2012
Phone number: 303-384-7456
Areas of expertise
- Electrical load forecasting with artificial neural networks
- Demand-side management optimization with Matlab
Primary research interests
- Demand response and renewable energy deployment modeling (PLEXOS)
Education and background training
- B.A. in biology, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio, 2006
- M.S in mechanical engineering, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, Colorado, 2012
Prior work experience
- Research Assistant, Engines and Energy Conversion Laboratory, Colorado State University (2010-2012)
- Materials Tester, Trautner Geotech (2008-2010)
Palchak, D.; Denholm, P. (2014). Impact of Generator Flexibility on Electric System Costs and Integration of Renewable Energy. 27 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-62275.
Hummon, M.; Palchak, D.; Denholm, P.; Jorgenson, J.; Olsen, D. J.; Kiliccote, S.; Matson, N.; Sohn, M.; Rose, C.; Dudley, J.; Goli, S.; Ma, O. (2013). Grid Integration of Aggregated Demand Response, Part 2: Modeling Demand Response in a Production Cost Model. 72 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-58492.
Hummon, M. R.; Denholm, P.; Jorgenson, J.; Palchak, D.; Kirby, B.; Ma, O. (2013). Fundamental Drivers of the Cost and Price of Operating Reserves. 57 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-58491.
D. Palchak, S. Suryanarayanan, and D. Zimmerle. (2012). "An Artificial Neural Network in Short-Term Load Forecasting of a University Campus: A Case Study," ASME International Conference on Sustainability.
Full list of David Palchak publications (NREL)
- Skiing, climbing, woodworking, biking