David Kline is the Group Manager for the Market and Policy Impact Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since 1991
Phone number: 303-384-7435
Areas of expertise
- International renewable energy technology markets
- U.S.-China renewable energy cooperation
- Clean energy technology transfer from developed to developing countries
- Market-oriented strategies
- Renewable hybrid energy systems
Primary research interests
- International energy policy (China, Ghana, Egypt, Morocco, and South Africa)
- Energy and climate policy design, implementation, and analysis
- Greenhouse gas mitigation
Education and background training
- M.S. and Ph.D. in management science and engineering, Stanford University
- B.S. in mathematics, Stanford University
Prior work experience
- Head of natural gas planning and forecasting unit, California Energy Commission. (1986-1991)
- Corporate planning consultant, Natomas Company. (1985-1986)
- Assistant study coordinator, Stanford Energy Modeling Forum. (1977-1985)
Kline, D. (2010). "Benefits to the United States of Increasing Global Uptake of Clean Energy Technologies." 37 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A2-47807.
Kline, D.; Heimiller, D.; Cowlin, S. (2008). "GIS Method for Developing Wind Supply Curves." 19 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-670-43053.
Ma, S.; Yin, H.; Kline, D. M. (2006). Efficient System Design and Sustainable Finance for China's Village Electrification Program, presented at ASES's the Solar 2006 Conference, July 9-13 2006, Denver, Colorado. NREL Report No. CP-710-40526. (PDF 563 KB)
Ma, S.; Yin, H.; Kline, D. M. (2006). Efficient System Design and Sustainable Finance for China's Village Electrification Program: Preprint. NREL Report No. CP-710-39588.
Chambers, A.; D.M. Kline; Vimmerstedt, L.; Diem, A.; Dismukes, D.; Mesyanzhinov, D. (2005). Comparison of Methods for Estimating the NOx Emission Impacts of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Projects: Shreveport, Louisiana Case Study (Revised). 35 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-710-37721. (PDF 1.4 MB)
Touryan, K.; Kline, D.. (2004). Collaborative Efforts with Institutes in the Former Soviet Union on Renewable Energy Technologies, presented at the World Renewable Energy Congress VIII (WREC 2004), August 29-September 3, 2004, Denver, Colorado. NREL Report No. CP-720-36862.
Kline, D.. (2001). "Positive Feedback, Lock-in, and Environmental Policy," Policy Sciences, Vol. 34, 2001, pp. 95-107. NREL Report No. JA-620-28513. (PDF 798 KB)
Full list of David Kline publications (NREL)
Hiking, music, and jogging.