David Hurlbut is a member of the Market and Policy Impact Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since January 2007
Phone number: 303-384-7334
Areas of expertise
- Policy and legislative analysis
- Statistical analysis and econometrics
- Optimization modeling
- Cost-benefit analysis
Primary research interests
- Economic incentives and market behavior affecting energy efficiency and renewable energy deployment
- State policies for energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Coordinating state and federal renewable energy policies within multi-state regional transmission organizations
- Competitive electricity markets
- Renewable energy infrastructure issues
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in public policy, Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, the University of Texas at Austin, 1999
- Master of public affairs, Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, the University of Texas at Austin, 1991
- B.A. in journalism, the University of Houston, 1983
Prior work experience
- Senior Economist, Public Utility Commission of Texas, 2000-2006
- Peace Corps volunteer, Nepal, 1984-88
- Reporter, Dallas Times Herald, 1981-84
- Business Editor, Billings Gazette, 1980-81
Hurlbut, D. (2012). Geothermal Power and Interconnection: The Economics of Getting to Market. 44 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-54192.
Hurlbut, D. (2008). "A Look Behind the Texas Renewable Portfolio Standard: A Case Study." Natural Resources Journal, Vol. 48, Winter.
Hurlbut, D., with Parviz Adib. (2008). "Market Power and Market Monitoring." Competitive Electricity Markets: Design, Implementation, Performance, ed. Fereidoon P. Sioshansi. Oxford: Elsevier.
Hurlbut, D. (1999). Irrigation for Sale: The Conservation Effects of Water Marketing in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Doctoral dissertation.
Hurlbut, D. (1996). "The Cultural Impact of Intellectual Property Forms: Biodiversity." International Intellectual Property Anthology, eds. Anthony D'Amato and Doris Estelle Long, pp. 79-83. Cincinnati: Anderson Publishing.
Hurlbut, D. (1993). "Beyond the Montreal Protocol: Impact on Nonparty States and Lessons for Future Environmental Protection Regimes." Colorado Journal of International Environmental Law and Policy, Vol. 4, No. 2.
Full list of David Hurlbut publications (NREL)
Promoting Montessori education, South Asian affairs, hiking, teaching