Bethany Frew is a member of the Forecasting & Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Postdoctoral Researcher - Electric System Analyst
On staff since October 2014
Phone number: 303-275-3819
Areas of expertise
- Energy systems modeling and analysis
- Linear programming
Primary research interests
- Understand and determine how to meet system needs for integrating high penetrations of renewable energy, including demand- and supply-side mechanisms
- Large-scale optimization of highly renewable energy systems
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in civil and environmental engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 2014
- M.S. in civil and environmental engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 2008
- B.S. in food, agricultural, and biological engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 2007
Prior work experience
- Research/Teaching Assistant, Stanford University, Stanford, CA (2007-2014)
- Research Intern, Battelle Memorial Institute, Columbus, OH (2006-2007)
- Research Assistant, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH (2004-2005)
Michael Milligan, Bethany Frew, Eduardo Ibanez, Juha Kiviluoma, Hannele Holttinen, Lennart Soder 2017. Capacity Value Assessments of Wind Power. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/JA-5D00-66493. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment Vol. 6 (1) January/February 2017 15 pp.
Bethany Frew, Giulia Gallo, Gregory Brinkman, Michael Milligan, Kara Clark, Aaron Bloom 2016. Impact of Market Behavior, Fleet Composition, and Ancillary Services on Revenus Sufficiency. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-5D00-66076, 44 pp.
Bethany A. Frew, Michael Milligan, Greg Brinkman, Aaron Bloom, Kara Clark, Paul Denholm 2016. Revenue Sufficiency and Reliability in a Zero Marginal Cost Future: Preprint. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-6A20-66935, 10 pp.
Bethany Frew, Trieu Mai, Venkat Krishnan, Scott Haase 2016. Utility-Scale Photovoltaic Deployment Scenarios of the Western United States: Implications for Solar Energy Zones in Nevada. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-67066, 53 pp.
Milligan, Michael, Bethany A. Frew, Aaron Bloom, Erik Ela, Audun Botterud, Aaron Townsend, and Todd Levin 2016. Wholesale Electricity Market Design with Increasing Levels of Renewable Generation: Revenue Sufficiency and Long-Term Reliability. Electricity Journal 29, no. 2 (March 2016): 26-38. NREL/JA-5D00-66188
Full list of Bethany Frew's publications (NREL)