Ben Sigrin is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Energy Systems Modeling Engineer
On staff since May 2013
Phone number: 303-275-3244
Areas of expertise
- Financial modeling and analysis
- Risk and uncertainty modeling
- Distributed photovoltaics and consumer decision-making
Primary research interests
- Consumer decision-making in the adoption of novel technologies
- Capacity expansion modeling of the electric sector
Education and background training
- M.S./M.P.Aff in energy and earth resources/public affairs, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 2010–2013
- B.A. in physics, Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA, 2002–2006
Prior work experience
- Research Assistant, University of Texas - Energy Systems Transformation Group, Austin, TX
- Graduate Intern, U.S. DOE (EERE), Washington, D.C. (2011)
- Volunteer, Peace Corps, Namibia (2006–2009)
- Member, U.S. Association of Energy Economics
Barbose, Galen, John Miller, Ben Sigrin, Emerson Reiter, Karlynn Cory, Joyce McLaren, Joachim Seel, Andrew Mills, Naïm Darghouth, and Andrew Satchwell. 2016. On the Path to SunShot: Utility Regulatory and Business Model Reforms for Addressing the Financial Impacts of Distributed Solar on Utilities. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-65670.
Gagnon, Pieter and B. Sigrin. 2016. Distributed PV Adoption: Sensitivity to Market Factors. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/PR-6A20-65984.
Sigrin, B., M. Gleason, R. Preus, I. Baring-Gould, and R. Margolis. 2016. The Distributed Generation Market Demand Model (dGen): Documentation. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-65231.
Cole, Wesley, H. Lewis, B. Sigrin, and R. Margolis. "Interactions of rooftop PV deployment with the capacity expansion of the bulk power system." Applied Energy 168 (April 2016) 473-81. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.02.004
Mai, Trieu, W. Cole, E. Lantz, C. Marcy, B. Sigrin. 2016. Impacts of Federal Tax Credit Extensions on Renewable Deployment and Power Sector Emissions. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-65571.
Sigrin, B., J. Pless, and E. Drury. 2015 "Diffusion into new markets: evolving customer segments in the solar photovoltaics market." Environ. Res. Lett. 10, no. 8 (August 2015). doi:10.1088/1748-9326/10/8/084001
Sigrin, B. and E. Drury. "Diffusion into New Markets: Economic Returns Required by Households to Adopt Rooftop Photovoltaics." Paper presented at 2014 AAAI Fall Symposium: Energy Markets and Prediction, Washington, D.C., November 2014.
Sigrin, B., P. Sullivan, E. Ibanez, and R. Margolis. 2014. Representation of Solar Capacity Value in the ReEDS Capacity Expansion Model. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-61182.
Rai, V. and B. Sigrin. "Diffusion of environmentally-friendly energy technologies: buy versus lease differences in residential PV markets." Environ. Res. Lett. 8, no. 1, 014022 (March 2013). doi:10.1088/1748-9326/8/1/014022
Full list of Ben Sigrin publications (NREL)
Skiing, hiking, acoustic guitar