Ben Maples is a member of the Technology Systems and Sustainability Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
On staff since May 2009
Phone number: 303-384-7137
Areas of expertise
- Levelized cost of energy (LCOE) analysis
- Wind turbine and plant component costs
- Assessing wind turbine performance
Primary research interests
- Developing transparent cost models for wind energy
- Assessing wind technology impacts on LCOE
Education and background training
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, 2010
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, 2009
Prior work experience
- Energy Analyst, Cleantech Solutions, Boulder, CO (2007-2008)
- Associate Drafter/Designer, LoBianco Consulting, Sunnyvale, CA (2006-2007)
Saur, G.; Maples, B.; Meadows, B.; Hand, M.; Musial, W.; Elkington, C.; Clayton, J. (2012). Offshore Wind Plant Balance-of-Station Cost Drivers and Sensitivities (Poster). NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). 1 pg.; NREL Report No. PO-5000-56132.
Tegen, S.; Hand, M.; Maples, B.; Lantz, E.; Schwabe, P.; Smith, A. (2012). 2010 Cost of Wind Energy Review. 111 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-5000-52920.
Maples, B. (2012). U.S. Balance-of-Station Cost Drivers and Sensitivities (Presentation). NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). 14 pp.; NREL Report No. PR-5000-56480.
Maples, B.; Hand, M.; Musial, W. (2010). Comparative Assessment of Direct Drive High Temperature Superconducting Generators in Multi-Megawatt Class Wind Turbines. 40 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-5000-49086.
Full list of Ben Maples publications (NREL)
Skiing, hiking, camping, automotive work, home brewing