Brian W Bush
Brian W Bush is a member of the Energy Forecasting and Modeling Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Principal Strategic Analyst
On staff from January 2008
Phone number: (303) 384-7472
Areas of expertise
- Energy and infrastructure modeling, simulation, and analysis
- High performance computing
- Software architecture, design, implementation, and testing
- Discrete-event and continuous simulation
- Statistical analysis
- Geographic information systems
Primary research interests
- Energy modeling methodologies
- Sensitivity analysis and uncertainty quantification for multidisciplinary models and simulations, including understanding the limits of predictability
- Graph and network analysis
- Approximate reasoning
- Knowledge engineering
- Mining and visualization of massive data sets
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in physics, 1990, Yale University
- B.S. in physics, 1985, California Institute of Technology
Prior work experience
- Technical Staff Member, Los Alamos National Laboratory (1993-2008)
- Director-Funded Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory (1990-1992)
- American Physical Society
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (including Computer Society)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Guest Scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Newes, E.; Bush, B.; Inman, D.; Lin, Y.; Mai, T.; Martinez, A.; Mulcahy, D.; Short, W.; Simpkins, T.; Uriarte, C.; Peck, C. (2012). Biomass Resource Allocation among Competing End Uses. 66 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-54217.
Bush, B.; Jenkin, T.; Lipowicz, D.; Arent, D. J.; Cooke, R. (2012). Variance Analysis of Wind and Natural Gas Generation under Different Market Structures: Some Observations. 50 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-6A20-52790.
Lee, S. J.; Bush, B.; George, R. (2011). Analytic Science for Geospatial and Temporal Variability in Renewable Energy: A Case Study in Estimating Photovoltaic Output in Arizona. Solar Energy. Vol. 85(9), September 2011; pp. 1945-1956; NREL Report No. JA-6A20-48140. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2011.05.005
Lee, S. J.; George, R.; Bush, B. (2009). Estimating Solar PV Output Using Modern Space/Time Geostatistics (Presentation). 21 pp.; NREL Report No. PR-6A2-46208.
Bush, B.; Duffy, M.; Sandor, D.; Peterson, S. (2008). Using System Dynamics to Model the Transition to Biofuels in the United States: Preprint. 9 pp.; NREL Report No. CP-150-43153.
Full list of Brian Bush publications (NREL)