Brian W Bush
Brian W Bush is a member of the System Modeling & Geospatial Data Science Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Principal Strategic Analyst
On staff from January 2008
Phone number: (303) 384-7472
Areas of expertise
- Energy and infrastructure modeling, simulation, and analysis
- High performance computing
- Software architecture, design, implementation, and testing
- Discrete-event and continuous simulation
- Statistical analysis
- Geographic information systems
Primary research interests
- Energy modeling methodologies
- Sensitivity analysis and uncertainty quantification for multidisciplinary models and simulations, including understanding the limits of predictability
- Graph and network analysis
- Approximate reasoning
- Knowledge engineering
- Mining and visualization of massive data sets
Education and background training
- Ph.D. in physics, 1990, Yale University
- B.S. in physics, 1985, California Institute of Technology
Prior work experience
- Technical Staff Member, Los Alamos National Laboratory (1993-2008)
- Director-Funded Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory (1990-1992)
- American Physical Society
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (including Computer Society)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Guest Scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Milbrandt, Anelia, Brian Bush, and Marc Melaina. 2016. Biogas and Hydrogen Systems Market Assessment. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-63596.
Getman, D., B. Bush, D. Inman, and R. Elmore. 2015. Evaluation of Methods for Comparison of Spatiotemporal and Time Series Datasets. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-62647.
Bush, B., M. Penev, M. Melaina, and J. Zuboy. 2015. Hydrogen Financial Analysis Scenario Tool (H2FAST): Web Tool User's Manual. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-5400-64020.
Bush, B., E. Doris, and D. Getman. 2014. Understanding the Complexities of Subnational Incentives in Supporting a National Market for Distributed Photovoltaics. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-7A40-62238
Newes, E., B. Bush, D. Inman, Y. Lin, T. Mai, A. Martinez, D. Mulcahy, W. Short, T. Simpkins, C. Uriarte, and C. Peck. 2012. Biomass Resource Allocation among Competing End Uses. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-54217.
Bush, B., T. Jenkin, D. Lipowicz, D.J. Arent, and R. Cooke. 2012. Variance Analysis of Wind and Natural Gas Generation under Different Market Structures: Some Observations. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-52790.
Lee, S.J., B. Bush, and R. George. "Analytic Science for Geospatial and Temporal Variability in Renewable Energy: A Case Study in Estimating Photovoltaic Output in Arizona." Solar Energy 85, no. 9 (September 2011): 1945-56; NREL/JA-6A20-48140. doi:10.1016/j.solener.2011.05.005
Lee, S.J., R. George, and B. Bush. 2009. Estimating Solar PV Output Using Modern Space/Time Geostatistics (Presentation). Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/PR-6A2-46208.
Bush, B., M. Duffy, D. Sandor, and S. Peterson. 2008. Using System Dynamics to Model the Transition to Biofuels in the United States: Preprint. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-150-43153.
Full list of Brian Bush publications (NREL)