Ariel Esposito is a member of the Technology Systems and Sustainability Analysis Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Geothermal Energy Analyst
On staff since October 2010
Phone number: 303-275-4694
Areas of expertise
- Reservoir engineering and reservoir simulation
- Geothermal, oil and gas, and carbon capture and storage (CCS) reservoir analysis
- Technology analysis, energy policy, and energy systems optimization
Primary research interests
- Alternative geothermal resources including geopressure and secondary sedimentary basins
- Geothermal reservoir engineering to determine recoverable resource and estimate costs
- Geothermal technology analysis and comparison with other renewable energy sources
Education and background training
- M.S. in energy resources engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 2010
- B.S. in environmental engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 2008
Prior work experience
- Research Assistant CCS, Stanford University, Stanford, CA (2008-2010)
- Environmental Intern CCS, Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA (2009)
- Energy Analyst, Summerhill Biomass Systems, Manlius, NY (2008)
- Research Assistant CCS, MIT Lab for Energy and Environment, Cambridge, MA (2007)
- Stream Flow Analyst, CU Institute for Arctic and Alpine Research, Boulder, CO (2005, 2006)
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
Esposito, A.; Benson, S.M. (2012). "Evaluation and Development of Options for Remediation of CO2 Leakage into Groundwater Aquifers from Geologic Carbon Storage." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. Vol. 7. 62-73
Esposito, A.; Augustine, C. (2012). "The Influence of Reservoir Heterogeneity on Geothermal Fluid and Methane Recovery from a Geopressured Geothermal Reservoir." Proceedings, Thirty-Seventh Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA Jan 30-Feb 1, 2012.
Esposito, A.; Augustine, C. (2011). "Geopressured Geothermal Resource and Recoverable Energy Estimate for the Wilcox and Frio Formations, Texas." Geothermal Resource Council Transactions. Vol. 35.1563-1571
Esposito, A. (2010). Remediation of Possible Leakage from Geologic CO2 Storage Reservoirs Into Groundwater Aquifers. Stanford University, Energy Resources Engineering Master's Thesis.
Esposito, A.; Benson, S.M. (2010). "Optimization of Remediation of Possible Leakage from Geologic CO2 Storage Reservoirs into Groundwater Aquifers." SPE Western Regional Meeting, 27-29 May 2010, Anaheim, California, SPE 133604.
Krevor, S.; Perrin, J.C.; Esposito, A.; Rella, C.; Benson, S.M. (2010). "Rapid detection and characterization of surface CO2 leakage through the real-time measurement of δ13 C signatures in CO2 flux from the ground." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 4(5): 811-815
Full list of Ariel Esposito publications (NREL)
Cats, electric vehicles, watercolor painting, hiking, historical fiction, and international travel.