Anthony Lopez is a member of the System Modeling & Geospatial Data Science Group in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
GIS Scientist IV
On staff since April 2009
Phone number: 303-275-3654
Areas of expertise
- Spatial database design and utilization
- High performance computing
- Parallel processing and analysis of large geospatial datasets
- Visualization of complex spatial-temporal datasets
- Renewable resource technical and economic potential
- Advanced cartographic product design
Primary research interests
- Solar resource assessment
- Conversion of raw geographic renewable resource datasets to technical potential estimations
- Global renewable resource datasets and analysis
- Renewable resource characterization
Education and background training
- M.S. Geographic Information Science, University of Denver, 2015
- Certificate in Geographic Information Science, University of Denver, 2014
- B.S. in geography with emphasis in geographic information systems, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO, 2006
Prior work experience
- GIS Analyst, SWCA Environmental Consultants, Broomfield, CO
- GIS Analyst, Weld County Public Works, Greeley, CO
Fu, Ran, Ted James, Donald Chung, Douglas Gagne, Anthony Lopez, and Aron Dobos. "Economic Competitiveness of U.S. Utility-Scale Photovoltaics Systems in 2015: Regional Cost Modeling of Installed Cost ($/W) and LCOE ($/kWh)." Paper presented at the 2015 IEEE 42nd Photovoltaic Specialist Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, June 2015.
Lopez, A., B. Roberts, D. Heimiller, N. Blair, and G. Porro. 2012. U.S. Renewable Energy Technical Potentials: A GIS-Based Analysis. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-51946.
Sengupta, M., A. Habte, P. Gotseff, and A. Weekley, A. Lopez, C. Molling, and A. Heidinger. 2014. Physics-Based GOES Satellite Product for Use in NREL's National Solar Radiation Database: Preprint. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/CP-5D00-62237.
Habte, A., A. Lopez, M. Sengupta, and S. Wilcox. 2014. Temporal and Spatial Comparison of Gridded TMY, TDY, and TGY Data Sets. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-5D00-60886.
Drury, E., A.M. Lopez, P. Denholm, and R. Margolis. "Relative Performance of Tracking versus Fixed Tilt Photovoltaic Systems in the USA." Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications 22, no. 12 (December 2014): 1302-15. doi:10.1002/pip.2373. NREL/JA-6A20-54619.
Arent, D., P. Sullivan, D. Heimiller, A. Lopez, K. Eurek, J. Badger, H.E. Jorgensen, M. Kelly, L. Clarke, and P. Luckow. 2012. Improved Offshore Wind Resource Assessment in Global Climate Stabilization Scenarios. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-55049.
Full list of Anthony Lopez publications (NREL)
Traveling, backpacking, fishing, and the Broncos!