Alberta Carpenter is a member of the Technology Systems & Sustainability Analysis in the Strategic Energy Analysis Center.
Life Cycle Assessment Engineer/Analyst
On staff since 2009
Phone number: 303-275-4232
Areas of expertise
- Life cycle assessment in industrial by-product management, waste management, biofuels and manufacturing technologies
- Life cycle inventory database management
Primary research interests
- Life cycle assessment
- Life cycle inventory management
- Advanced manufacturing
- Supply chain analysis
Education and background training
- Ph.D in environmental engineering, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH, 2009
- M.S. in environmental engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 2004
- B.S. in ocean engineering, U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, 1993
Prior work experience
- U.S. Navy, 5 years
- GE Medical, San Jose, CA, 1 year
- Department of Public Works, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, 3 years
- Member of the American Center for Life Cycle Assessment
- Member ASTM Sustainable Manufacturing Technical Subcommittee Member
- Technical Advisory Board for Sustainable Minds Transparency Report Program
Zhang, Yimin, Garvin Heath, Alberta Carpenter, and Noah Fisher. "Air Pollutant Emissions Inventory of Large-Scale Production of Selected Biofuels Feedstocks in 2022." Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining 10, no. 1 (January/February 2016): 56-69. NREL/JA-6A20-63799. doi:10.1002/bbb.1620.
Wiser, Ryan H., Trieu Mai, Dev Millstein, Jordan Macknick, Alberta Carpenter, Stuart Cohen, Wesley Cole, Bethany Frew, and Garvin Heath. 2016. On the Path to SunShot: The Environmental and Public Health Benefits of Achieving High Solar Penetrations in the United States. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-65628.
Wiser, R., G. Barbose, J. Heeter, T. Mai, L. Bird, M. Bolinger, A. Carpenter, G. Heath, D. Keyser, J. Macknick, A. Mills, and D. Millstein. 2016. A Retrospective Analysis of the Benefits and Impacts of U.S. Renewable Portfolio Standards. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. NREL/TP-6A20-65005.
Carpenter, A., K. Gardner, J. Fopiano, C. Benson, and T. Edil. "Life Cycle Based Risk Assessment of Recycled Materials in Roadway Construction." Waste Management 27, no. 10 (2007): 1458-64. doi:10.1016/j.wasman.2007.03.007
Carpenter, A. and K. Gardner. "Use of Industrial By-Products in Urban Transportation Infrastructure: argument for increased industrial symbiosis." Journal of Industrial Ecology 13, no. 6 (2009): 965-77. doi:10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00175.x
Carpenter, A. 2009. Sustainable Management of Industrial Capital: LCA and Spatial Analysis in Decision Making For Beneficial Use of Industrial By-Products. Dissertation. Durham, NH: Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of New Hampshire.
Contributing author. 2011. UNEP/SETAC Global Guidance Principles for Life Cycle Assessment Databases: A Basis for Greener Processes and Products - Shonan Guidance Principles. Chapter 4, Data Documentation, Review and Management. Paris, France: UNEP DTIE.
Carpenter, A., J. Jambeck, K. Gardner, and K. Weitz. "Life Cycle Assessment of End-of-Life Management Options for Construction and Demolition Debris." Journal of Industrial Ecology 17, no. 3 (June 2013): 396-406. doi:10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00568.x
Full list of Alberta Carpenter publications (NREL)
Yoga, cooking, hiking, running, reading