Energy Technology Cost and Performance Data
This chart indicates the range of recent cost estimates for renewable energy and other technologies. The estimates are shown in dollars per installed kilowatts of generating capacity.
This chart provides a compilation of available national-level cost data from a variety of sources. Costs in your specific location will vary.
The data used in the charts are downloadable from the "Data and Charts" section below.
The horizontal lines represent the range of costs: Average + 1 standard deviation; and average - 1 standard deviation.
The pie charts in the middle of the line indicates average capacity factor.
All costs are in 2006 dollars per installed kilowatts in the United States.
Use tabs above image to navigate.
Source: NREL (July 2010)
Data and Charts for Download:
- Supporting Data for Energy Technology Costs (Excel 108 KB)
- Energy Technology Cost Charts Only (PowerPoint 404 KB)
- Reducing U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions: How Much at What Cost?, U.S. Greenhouse Gas Abatement Mapping Initiative Report Inputs, McKinsey, (2007).
- EERE Renewable Energy Data Book. (2008). Based on ASES, 20% Wind Report 2007, NREL ReEDS market analysis, 3-Tier assessment, GPRA reports, team analysis. September.
- Electricity Working Group. (2008). Changes to the AEO2009, August.
- Assumptions to the Annual Energy Outlook 2009. (2009). Table 8.2. DOE/EIA-0554.
- Tiered Carbon Impacts Analysis EERE, MARKAL Inputs (2008).
- GPRA Analysis 2009.
- "Levelized Cost of Energy Analysis." (2008). Presentation at NARUC, Lazard, June.
- Inputs to the 20% Wind Report. (2007). Black and Veatch market analysis.
- Cost and Performance Baseline for Fossil Energy Plants. (2007). Volume 1: Bituminous Coal and Natural Gas to Electricity - Final Report DOE/NETL-2007/1281, (Original, May; Revision 1, August)
- Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research (CEEPR), Update on the Cost of Nuclear Power, May 2009.
- Pier Advanced Generation Roadmap - Background Paper, Draft Consultant Report, Prepared For: California Energy Commission, Public Interest Energy Research Program, Prepared By: Navigant Consulting, Inc., CEC-500-2009-086-D, August 2009.
- Renewable Energy Cost Of Generation Update, Pier Interim Project Report, Prepared For: California Energy Commission, Public Interest Energy Research Program, Prepared By: KEMA, Inc., CEC-500-2009-084, August 2009.