Arthur J. Nozik — Senior Research Fellow Emeritus
Dr. Arthur J. Nozik is a Senior Research Fellow Emeritus of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and Research Professor in the Chemistry Department at the University of Colorado, Boulder. He has 11 U.S. patents and over 250 published papers.
Dr. Nozik's work focuses on photoelectrochemistry, solid state physics, semiconductor nanoscience, hot carrier effects, Third Generation solar photon conversion, and related interdisciplinary science.
Dr. Nozik received his BChE from Cornell University in 1959 and his PhD in Physical Chemistry from Yale University in 1967. Before joining NREL in 1978, then known as the Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI), he conducted research at the Allied Chemical Corporation and American Cyanamid Corporation. Dr. Nozik's research interests include size quantization effects in semiconductor quantum dots and quantum wells, and the applications of these nanostructures to solar photon conversion, photogenerated carrier relaxation dynamics in semiconductor structures, photoelectrochemistry of semiconductor-molecule interfaces, photoelectrochemical energy conversion, photocatalysis, optical, magnetic and electrical properties of solids, and Mössbauer spectroscopy. He has published over 250 papers and book chapters in these fields, and holds 11 U.S. patents. He has served on numerous scientific review and advisory panels and received several awards in solar energy research. Dr. Nozik has been a Senior Editor of The Journal of Physical Chemistry since 1993. He is a Fellow of the American Physical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the Royal Society of Chemistry. He is also a member of the American Chemical Society, the Electrochemical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Materials Research Society, and the Society of Photo Optical Instrument Engineers.
Major Technical Contributions
1978-present, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Published more than 250 basic research papers in photoelectrochemistry, solid state physics, semiconductor nanoscience, and related interdisciplinary science.
- Proposed and confirmed several new important concepts in photoelectrochemistry (hot carrier effects, size quantization effects, superlattice electrodes, quantum dot solar cells).
1974-1978, Materials Research Center, Allied Chemical Corporation, Morristown, NJ
- Group leader, Photoelectrochemical Energy Conversion
- Established one of the first groups in the country in photoelectrochemical energy conversion
- Published 15 papers in photoelectrochemical energy conversion; received five U.S. patents in the field
- Invented photochemical diodes, a major new innovation in photoelectrochemical energy conversion (U.S. 4,094,751).
1967-1974, Central Research Division, American Cyanamid Company, Stamford, CT 06904
- Conducted research on optical and electrical properties of semiconductors
- Discovered new transparent conductor (Cd2SnO4); received five U.S. patents on material; NSF and Air Force Funding; developed applications in solar energy devices, and infra-red absorbers
- Conducted research in heterogeneous catalysis
- Introduced Mössbauer spectroscopy at Cyanamid; developed applications for hydrodesulfurization of petroleum
1961-1964, Central Research Division, American Cyanamid Company, Stamford, CT 06904
- Conducted research on plasma jet chemistry and heterogeneous catalysis
Academic Experience and Education
- 1998-present — Professor Adjoint (1998-2012) and Research Professor (2012 - present), University of Colorado, Boulder, Department of Chemistry; directed ten Ph.D. students. Taught graduate courses in the Basic Science of Renewable Energy. Advised 31 post-doctoral associates conducting research at NREL.
- 1995 — Guest Lectureship, Gordon Lecture Series on Energy, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 1982-1985 — Co-directed two M.S. theses at Colorado School of Mines
- 1977-1989 — Outside Member of Examination Committee for Ph.D. theses at University of Colorado, Brown University and universities in Australia, India, and Canada
- 1968-1974 — Lecturer, Graduate courses in Advanced Physical Chemistry and Spectroscopy, Southern Connecticut State College, New Haven, CT
- 1962-1964 — Instructor, physics and math courses, Southern Connecticut State College, Evening Division, New Haven, CT
- 1964-1967 — Yale University, Ph.D. (1967), Physical Chemistry Dissertation: Mössbauer Resonance Studies of Ions in Ice
- 1960-1961 — Yale University, M.S. (1962), Physical Chemistry
- 1953-1956 — Cornell University, B.Ch.E. (1959), Chemical Engineering
Editorships & Editorial Board Service
- Editorial Board, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy (2016-present)
- Guest Editor, Thematic Issue of Chemical Reviews on "Solar Photon Conversion," Nov. 2010
- Editorial Board of Dataset Papers in Nanotechnology (online) (2012)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Energy and Environmental Science (2008-2014)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Nano Energy (new Elsevier journal, 2012 - present)
- Advisory Board, Wiley Series on New Materials for Sustainable Energy and Development (2008–present)
- Senior Editor of The Journal of Physical Chemistry (1993–2005)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells (1985–2013)
- Advisory Board, Cornell University Energy Institute (2016-present)
- International Advisory Committee, Institute for Basic Science, Center for Integrated Nanostructure Physics, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, Korea (2014 – present)
- Fellow, NREL–University of Colorado Renewable and Sustainable Energy Institute (RASEI)
- (2009–present); member of original 2005 CU Steering Committee that led to RASEI; member of Executive Board (2009-present)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Energy and Environmental Science (2008–2014)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Solar Energy Materials (1985–2013)
- Advisory Board, Nano Energy (2012– present)
- Scientific Advisory Committee, DOE EFRC at Columbia University (2009-2014)
- Scientific Advisory Committee, DOE EFRC at the University of North Carolina (2009 – 2013)
- Scientific Advisory Board, NSF IGERT Program at the University of California, Santa Barbara
- Advisory Board, Wiley Series on New Materials for Sustainable Energy and Development
- (2008–present) Member, U.S. DOE Basic Energy Sciences Advisory SubCommittee on "Facing Our Energy Challenges in a New Era of Science," 2008
- Member Advisory Board, National Science Foundation Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship program, University of California, Santa Barbara (2008–present) and Rice University (2010–present)
- Scientific Director, Colorado Center for Revolutionary Solar Photoconversion (2007–present)
- Chairman, Solar Electric Panel, U.S. DOE Office of Science Workshop on Basic Research Needs for Solar Energy Utilization, Washington, DC, (April, 2005)
- Chemical Sciences Board, U.S. DOE Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, (2005- )
- Steering Committee, University of Colorado Initiative on Sustainable and Renewable Energy, 2005
- Panel Member, U.S. DOE Office of Science Workshop on Basic Research Needs for the Hydrogen Economy, Washington, DC (May, 2003)
- Panel Member, U.S. DOE Office of Science Workshop on Basic Research Needs to Assure a Secure Energy Future (Oct. 2002)
- Panel member, EPRI Workshop on Advancement of Photovoltaic Technology, (Nov. 2002)
- Organizing Panel, National Research Council/National Academy of Sciences Workshop on Challenges for the Chemical Sciences in the 21st Century: Energy and Transportation (Jan. 2002)
- Panel Member, Planning Workshop, Joint Los Alamos/Sandia National Lab Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (Sept. 2001)
- Member, International Review Committee, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Japan (Aug. 2002)
- Executive Committee, Physical Chemistry Division, American Chemical Society (2000-2003)
- Chairman, 13th International Conference on Photochemical Conversion and Storage of Solar Energy, Snowmass, CO (July 2000)
- Member, International Review Committee for Program on Photoreaction Control and Photofunctional Materials, National Institute of Materials and Chemical Research of Japan (1997-2001)
- Co-chairman, Workshop on Dye Sensitization and Fast Electron Transfer Dynamics, 12th International Conference on Photochemical Conversion and Storage of Solar Energy, Berlin (August 1998)
- Organizer, Twenty-first DOE Solar Photochemistry Research Conference, Copper Mountain, CO (June 1997)
- Co-organizer, 3rd International Conference on Recent Trends in Photoelectrochemistry, Estes Park, CO (May 1997)
- Co-organizer, Workshop on Dye Sensitization of Semiconductors, Golden, CO (March 1997)
- Organizer, Symposium on Photoeffects at Semiconductor-Liquid Interfaces, ACS Meeting, New Orleans, LA (March 1996)
- Chairman, DOE Workshop on Research Opportunities in Photochemical Sciences, Estes Park, CO (Feb. 1996)
- Appointed a Senior Editor of The Journal of Physical Chemistry (Feb. 1993)
- Member, DOE Scientific Review Committee, Chemical Sciences Program, Argonne National Laboratory (October 1993)
- Member, International Organizing Committee, International Conferences on the Photochemical Conversion and Storage of Solar Energy (1992-1998)
- Member, International Organizing Committee on First International Conference on TiO2 Photocatalysis, London, Ontario (1992)
- Co-organizer, Symposium on Non-Linear Optics, Electrochemical Society Meeting, Toronto (1992)
- Operating Agent, International Energy Agency Program on Hydrogen Production (1989-1990)
- Co-organizer, U.S.-Israel Workshop on Photoconversion (1990)
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, NSF Center for Photoinduced Charge Transfer, University of Rochester (Feb. 1989)
- Member, NSF Scientific Review Panel, NSF Materials Research Group Program, University of Texas at Austin (Feb. 1988)
- Delegate, U.S. DOE Group for International Energy Agency Conference on Long Range Research Opportunities in Renewable Energy Technology; Organizer; U.S. National Pre-Meeting (1988)
- Delegate, U.S. DOE Visiting Team for U.S.-Israel Scientific Cooperation Agreement (1988)
- Member, Scientific Review Committee, DOE/OER Program in Chemical Sciences, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Berkeley, CA (1986); Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University, Ames, IA (1986)
- Member, Scientific Review Panel for Chemical Biodynamics Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Berkeley, CA (1986)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Solar Energy Materials
- Chairman, Energy Technology Group, Electrochemical Society (1984)
- Member, International Organizing Committee, International Conferences on Photochemical Conversion and Storage of Solar Energy (1982-1988)
- Member, ACS Subcommittee on Energy, Committee on Chemistry and Public Affairs (1983-1988)
- Chairman and Organizer, nine Photoelectrochemical Energy Symposia, American Chemical Society and Electrochemical Society
- Member, American Chemical Society, American Physical Society, Electrochemical Society, AAAS, ISES, Materials Research Society
- U.S./DOE Representative, International Energy Agency, Photoelectrolysis Programme (1980-86)
- Organizer, U.S.-Japan Seminar on Cooperative Research on Photoelectrochemical Energy Conversion (NSF-funded) (1983)
- U.S. investigator, U.S.-Yugoslavia Joint Research Program in Photoconversion (1980-1992)
- U.S. co-investigator, U.S.-Israel Binational Science Foundation (1986-1991)
- Reviewer for J. Appl. Phys., Appl. Phys. Lett., J. Electrochem. Soc., Sol. Energy, J. Am. Chem. Soc., J. Phys. Chem., J. Solid State Chem., Surf. Sci., Nature, Phys. Rev., Phys. Rev. Lett., Chem. Phys. Lett., Science, Langmuir, Chem. Mater., J. Chem. Phys., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.; proposal reviewer for DOE, NSF, ONR, ARO, National Research Council, ACS, Canadian Research Council, and Univ. Grants Office.
Recognition and Honors
- University of Colorado, Boulder symposium honoring Professor Nozik's life-long leadership and pursuit of the science of solar photoconversion, photovoltaics, and solar fuels, 2016
- Two publications related to the 2016 University of Colorado Symposium: M.C. Beard, J.L. Blackburn, J.C. Johnson, and G. Rumbles "Status and Prognosis of Future-Generation Photoconversion to Photovoltaics and Fuels", ACS Energy Lett 1, 344-347 (2016); and P.V. Kamat, "A Conversation with Art Nozik", ACS Energy Lett 1, 420-423 (2016)
- Establishment of Director’s Fellowship at NREL, the Nozik Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2016
- Yale University Graduate School Wilbur Cross Medalist, 2016
- 2014 Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher (1 of <200 Globally in field of Chemistry)
- Heinz Gerischer Award, European Section of the Electrochemical Society, 2013
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (2013)
- Gustavus Esselen Award for Chemistry in the Public Interest, American Chemical Society, Northeastern Section, Harvard (2011)
- Fellow, NREL-University Colorado Renewable and Sustainable Energy Institute (2009–present)
- Research Award, U.N. Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Organization (2009)
- Eni Award for Science and Technology, Italy (2008) (hosted by the President of Italy)
- Sackler Lecturer 2009, Mortimer and Raymond Sackler Institute of Advanced Studies, Tel Aviv University (2009)
- Honorary Festschrift Issue of The Journal of Physical Chemistry celebrating 70th birthday (2006)
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2003)
- Research Award, Energy Technology Division, Electrochemical Society (2002)
- Distinguished Lecturer, Frontiers in Chemistry Lecture Series, Case Western Reserve University (2002)
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, Chemical Physics Division (1999)
- NREL Director's Award (1993)
- MRI Hubbard Award (NREL, 1992)
- American Western Universities - U.S. DOE Laboratory Distinguished Lectureship (1989-1990)
- MRI Van Morriss Award (1985)
- SERI Outstanding Achievement Award (1984)
- Sigma Xi
- 2000 and 2014 Who's Who in America
- 2015 Who’s Who in the World
- 354 Invited talks 1976–2014
- 90 Plenary/Keynote lectures
Publications and Patents
Summary of Statistics from Google Scholar (updated September, 2016)
- Number of journal publications: 291
- Sum of times cited: 29,423
- h index: 82
Summary of Statistics from Web of Science (since 1965)
- Number of journal publications: 291
- Sum of times cited: 22,065
- h index: 72
Selected Journal Publications
- C.J. Flynn, S.M. McCullough, E.B.E. Oh, L. Li, C.C. Mercado, B.H. Farnum, W. Li, W. Li, C. L. Donley, W. You, A. J. Nozik, J.R. McBride, T. J. Meyer, Y.Kanai, J. F. Cahoon "Size-Selective Passivation of Defects in NiO Solar Photocathodes by Targeted Atomic Deposition, ACS Appl. Mats. and Interfaces, 7, 4754 (2016)
- D. M. Sagar, J. M. Atkin, P. K. B. Palomaki, N.R. Neale, J. L. Blackburn, J. C. Johnson, A.J. Nozik, M. B. Raschke, and M. C. Beard. "Quantum Confined-Electron Phonon Interaction in Silicon Nanocrystals", Nano Letts, 15, 1511-1516 (2015).
- S.M. McCullough, CJ Flynn, CC Mercado, A.J. Nozik, and J.F. Cahoon, "Compositional-tunable mechanochemical synthesis ZnxCo3-xO4 nanoparticles for Mesoporous p-type Photocathodes", J. Materials Chem. A3, 21990 (2015).
- A. R. Marshall, M.R. Young, A.J. Nozik, M.C. Beard, and J.M. Luther, "Exploration of Metal Chloride Uptake for Improved Performance Characteristics of PbSe Quantum Dot Solar Cells". J. Phys. Chem 6, 2892 (2015).
- M.C. Beard, J.C. Johnson, J.M. Luther, and A.J. Nozik, "Multiple Exciton Generation in Quantum Dots vs Singlet Fission in Molecular Chromophores for Solar Photon Conversion", Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. A, 373, 20140412 (2015)
- M.C. Beard, J.M. Luther, and A.J. Nozik, "The promise and challenge of nanostructured solar cells", Nature Nanotech 9, 951 (2014)
- J.C. Johnson, A.J. Nozik, J. Michl, "The Role of Chromophore Coupling in Singlet Fission" Accts. Chem. Res. 46, 1290 (2013)
- M.C. Beard, J M. Luther, O. Semonin, A.J. Nozik, "Third Generation Photovoltaics based on Multiple Exciton Generation in Quantum Confined Semiconductors", Accts. Chem. Res. 46, 1252 (2013)
- M.C. Hanna, M. Beard, and A.J. Nozik , "Effect of Solar Concentration on the Thermodynamic Power Conversion Efficiency of Quantum Dot Solar Cells Exhibiting Multiple Exciton Generation", J. Phys. Chem. Lett, 3, 2857 (2012)
- Semonin, O.E.; Luther, J.M.; Choi,S.; Chem, Hsiang-Yu; Gao, J,; Nozik, A.J., Beard, M. "Peak External Photocurrent Quantum Efficiency Exceeding 100% via MEG in a Quantum Dot Solar Cell", Science, 334, 1530, ( 2011).
- Blankenship, W. Tiede, Moore, Nozik, et al.. "Comparing Photosynthetic and Photovoltaic Efficiencies and Recognizing the Potential for Improvement" , Science 332, 805, (2011)
- Nozik, A.J.Beard, M.C., Luther, J.M., Law, M., Ellingson, R.J., Johnon, J.C., "Semiconductor Quantum Dots and Quantum Dot Arrays and Applications of MEG to 3rd Generation PV Solar Cells", Chemical Reviews, Thematic Issue, 110, 6873 (2010)
- Johnson, J.C., Nozik, A.J., Michl, J. "High Triplet Yield from Singlet Fission in a Thin Film of 1,3-Diphenylisobenzofuran, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 132, 16302 (2010)
- Beard, M.C., Midgett, A.G., Hanna, M.C., Luther, J.M., Hughes, B.K., Nozik, A.J. " Comparing Multiple Exciton Generation in Quantum Dots to Impact Ionization in Bulk Semiconductors: Implications for Enhancement of Solar Energy Conversion" Nano Lett, 10, 3019-3027 (2010)
- Nozik, A.J., Perspective Article "Nanoscience and Nanostructures for Photovoltaics and Solar Fuels", Nano Lett 10, 2735-2741 (2010)
- Nozik, A.J., "Multiple Exciton Generation in Semiconductor Quantum Dots", Chem. Phys. Letters, Frontiers in Chemistry, 457, 3 – 11 (2008)
- Beard, M.C., K.K. Knutsen, P. Yu, J. Luther, Q. Song, R.J. Ellingson, and A.J. Nozik, "Multiple Exciton Generation in Colloidal Silicon Nanocrystals," Nano Lett. 7, 2506–2512 (2007).
- Luther, J.M., M.C. Beard, Q. Song,, M. Law, R.J. Ellingson, and A.J. Nozik, "Multiple Exciton Generation in Films of Electronically Coupled PbSe Quantum Dots," Nano Lett. 7, 1779–1784 (2007).
- Paci, I., J.C. Johnson, X. Chen, G. Rana, D. Popovic, D.E. David, A.J. Nozik, M.A. Ratner and J. Michl," Singlet Fission for Dye Sensitized Solar Cells: Can a Suitable Sensitizer be Found," J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 128, 16546–16553 (2006).
- Ellingson, R.J., M.C. Beard, J. Johnson, P. Yu, O.I. Mićić, A.J. Nozik, A.J. Shaebev and Al.L. Efros," Highly Efficient Multiple Exciton Generation in Colloidal PbSe and PbS Quantum Dots," Nano Lett. 5, 865–871 (2005).
- Nozik, A. J., "Exciton Multiplication and Relaxation Dynamics in Quantum Dots: Applications to Ultrahigh-Efficiency Solar Photon Conversion," Inorg. Chem. (Forum) 44, 6893–6899 (2005).
- Nozik, A.J., "Quantum Dot Solar Cells," Physica E 14, 115–120 (2002).
- Nozik, A.J.,"Spectroscopy and Hot Electron Relaxation Dynamics in Semiconductor Quantum Wells and Quantum Dots," Ann. Rev. Phys. Chem. 52,193–231 (2001).
- Ross R.T. and A.J. Nozik, "Efficiency of Hot-Carrier Solar Energy Converters," J. Appl. Phys. 53, 3813–3818 (1982).
- Boudreaux, D.S., F. Williams and A.J. Nozik, "Hot Carrier Injection at Semiconductor-Electrolyte Junctions," J. Appl. Phys. 51, 2158–2163 (1980).
- Nozik, A.J., "Photoelectrochemistry: Applications to Solar Energy Conversion," Ann. Rev. Phys. Chem. 29, 189–222 (1978).
- Williams, F. and A.J. Nozik, "Irreversibilities in the Mechanism of Photoelectrolysis," Nature 271, 137–139 (1978).
- Nozik, A.J., "Photoelectrolysis of Water Using Semiconducting TiO2 Crystals," Nature 257, 383–386 (1975).
Books (written and edited)
Nanoscience and Optoelectronic Devices for Solar Energy Conversion, Cambridge University Press, 2015 (in preparation).
Advanced Concepts in Photovoltaics, (edited with Matt Beard and Gavin Conibeer), Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, 2014.
Nanostructured and Photoelectrochemical Systems for Solar Photon Conversion (edited with M.D. Archer), Vol. 3 of Series on Photoconversion of Solar Energy, Imperial College Press, 2008.
Photochemical and Photoelectrochemical Approaches to Solar Energy Conversion (edited with M.D. Archer), Vol. 4 of Photoconversion of Solar Energy, Imperial College Press, 2005.
Photochemical and Photoelectrochemical Approaches to Solar Energy Conversion (edited with M.D. Archer), Vol. 4 of Photoconversion of Solar Energy, Imperial College Press, 2005.
Surface Electron Transfer Processes (with R. J. D. Miller, G. McLendon, W. Schmickler, and F. Willig), VCH Publishers, 1995.
Photoelectrochemistry and Electrosynthesis on Semiconducting Materials, Electrochemical Society Symposium Series (edited with D. S. Ginley, N. Armstrong, K. Honda, A. Fujishima, T. Sakata, and T. Kawai), 1987.
Photoeffects at Semiconductor-Electrolyte Interfaces, ACS Symposium Series Vol. 146, 1981.
Photoelectrochemistry: Fundamental Processes and Measurement Technique, Electrochemical Society Symposium Series (edited with W. W. Wallace, S. K. Deb, and R. Wilson), 1982.
- U.S. 4,634,641 Superlattice Photoelectrodes for Photoelectrochemical Cells (1987)
- U.S. 4,167,461 Photoenhanced Reduction Process (1979)
- U.S. 4,094,751 Photochemical Diodes (1978)
- U.S. 4,090,933 Photoelectrolysis of Water by Solar Radiation (1978)
- U.S. 4,011,149 Photoelectrolysis of Water by Solar Radiation (1977)
- U.S. 3,987,780 Greenhouse Window for Solar Heat Absorbing Systems Derived from Cd2SnO4 (1976)
- U.S. 3,957,029 Greenhouse Window for Solar Heat Absorbing Systems (1976)
- U.S. 3,811,953 Light-Transmitting Electrically Conducting Cadmium Stannate (1974)
- U.S. 3,815,036 Infrared Windows and Optical Coatings Derived from Cd2SnO4 (1974)
- U.S. 3,773,914 Cadmium Stannate Yellow Pigment (1973)
- U.S. 3,725,099 White Silicon Carbide Sosoloids (1973)
View a list of NREL publications for Art Nozik.